Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To-Die-For Coconut Flour Muffins

To-Die-For Coconut Flour Muffins

Shop Now
    I bought some coconut flour, determined to be able to substitute for some of the wheat flour I've given up. I knew not everything would be spot-on, but I was disappointed that I had to throw away my first batch of muffins. They were not good, candidates for paper weights. So, I dug around for recipes, finally hit on this one. It is excellent with chocolate chips, and I imagine it'll be pretty good with dried fruit, etc. Anyhow, here's the recipe, and it is yum!

Ingredients:
    6 eggs
    4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
    1/2 cup honey
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup Coconut Flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix all ingredients together, throw in an add-in if you’d like, then pour batter into a well greased muffin pan. Bake at 350 for 15-17 min. Makes 12 muffins. I was just thinking these would be really good with some cinnamon added. I'll try that next!
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

This is pretty much the standard recipe for coconut flour muffins, but one thing I've found that lightens them up a ton is to use 1 - 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and baking soda instead of baking powder. It really seems to make a big difference for me, at least. I also whip the egg whites seperately and then fold them into the batter.

Add in some pecans, cinnamon, and some crunched up 85% green and blacks chocolate and you've got a healthy breakfast muffin.

I also don't use honey and use powdered stevia instead.

Also, I love blueberries in mine

Sounds delish. I've made some variations on these. I agree about whipping the egg whites. It makes a difference. I would totally stick with the honey!
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

That sounds awesome with blueberries! I haven't tried the baking soda with apple cider vinegar -- good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    This is pretty much the standard recipe for coconut flour muffins, but one thing I've found that lightens them up a ton is to use 1 - 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and baking soda instead of baking powder. It really seems to make a big difference for me, at least. I also whip the egg whites seperately and then fold them into the batter.

Add in some pecans, cinnamon, and some crunched up 85% green and blacks chocolate and you've got a healthy breakfast muffin.

I also don't use honey and use powdered stevia instead.
    love this. that's totally my kind of style! i love ACV... always forget it's great for baking!... and the stevia, of course

Is it egg whites only or the whole egg? I used six whole eggs...did I ruin them?
    ~Danielle~

I've been using whole eggs, too, and mine turned out yummy, so you're good.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Real View Post
    I've been using whole eggs, too, and mine turned out yummy, so you're good.
    If I only used egg whites would the muffins be whiter?

They were still yummy, I added blueberries and a little cinnamon , they were good.

Ill try the acv/splenda kind next time!
    ~Danielle~

Shop Now
    These sound really good. How long will these last? I just got my first shipment of coconut flour & oil.

...and can I use raw honey? I'm not much of a baker hehe.
    Last edited by JVAMan; 07-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.