Thread: Carbkins -> Atkins -> Primal Blueprint -> Primal/Paleo mix page

ABDada is offline Junior Member

Carbkins -> Atkins -> Primal Blueprint -> Primal/Paleo mix

Hey folks,

Figured I'd take advantage of this forum for its primary purpose, to introduce myself.

37 year old, male, entrepreneur, born and raised Chicagoan, now a traveler who calls Chicago home base.

Discovered I was overweight in my mid-20s when I saw a photo and had no idea it was me (seriously). Looked in the mirror and realized I wasn't just overweight, I was fat. For a guy who used to have friends and family worried about me being too skinny (even up to the age of 21), it was a shock.

I tried low fat, high cardio for a year and ended up even heavier, topping out at 205# on my 5'8" frame. A doctor friend told me to check out Atkins, based on his other patients successes. I picked it up, and loved the idea of it. Immediately went into the "Induction" phase, started losing weight from day 4 and ended up all the way to "Lifetime Maintenance" phase in 2 years. I was about 165# and had hit that plateau for months, figuring that was that.

Over the next few years, I stuck to Atkins but cheated often with grains (pizza, primarily), so my weight fluctuated between my 165# "minimum" and about 175#. Sleep wasn't solid, I had no drive to do anything, and business suffered.

About 2 years ago, a friend turned me on to the paleo raw movement. I tried it for 2 weeks and HATED it, so I dropped back to 80% Atkins, 20% carbkins. Then a few weeks later, I discovered Mark's TPB and loved the science behind it -- I have a scientific and inquisitive mind, and never heard of the n-3/n-6 debates or that saturated fat was way better than PUFAs and MUFAs.

I did 80/20% Primal Blueprint/other for a year, shedding enough body fat to get me to about 155#. I actually saw some abs, although I wasn't working out much.

A year ago, I went full Primal Blueprint, gaining muscle and losing fat but still weighing in at 155#. Around the beginning of 2011, I read Dr. Kurt Harris' Archevore blog, and started to browse the paleo/primal websites, finally jumping into a 100% Primal/Paleo mix.

In the past few months, I've finally shed those 10 remaining pounds, mostly by IF consistent, more workouts (frisbee, some weight lifting, and lots of slow persistent movements). Almost ALL the fat on the sides of my back is gone, no loose skin, and my abs show up without me having to pose. At 37, I can keep up with 100% of the guys I employ who are all 21-29. I'm faster than they are, recover almost immediately from fast frisbee-chasing sprints, and get plenty of compliments from the ladies on the street (and also many disparaging remarks about being too skinny again).

My goals for 2011-2012 are to gain 10# of lean muscle mass, become faster and stronger, and try to kick the smoking habit once and for all.

I am also the founder of PrimalConnect, a soon-to-be-announced primal/paleo magazine, social network, dating platform and news aggregator of all things healthy.

Thanks for sharing your stories, recipes, and questions here -- I've been reading the forums for probably a year. Awesome folks!
    Chicago Primal Blueprinter
    PrimalConnect News - Every Primal/Paleo blog and news site gathered together
    PrimalConnect Recipes - Building links to every recipe we can find

GreenLightJerky is offline Senior Member
    Thats kick ass bro!! Congratulations!
    My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
    www.greenlightjerky.com

Thanks, Matt!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABDada View Post
    Hey folks,

Figured I'd take advantage of this forum for its primary purpose, to introduce myself.

37 year old, male, entrepreneur, born and raised Chicagoan, now a traveler who calls Chicago home base.

Discovered I was overweight in my mid-20s when I saw a photo and had no idea it was me (seriously). Looked in the mirror and realized I wasn't just overweight, I was fat. For a guy who used to have friends and family worried about me being too skinny (even up to the age of 21), it was a shock.

I tried low fat, high cardio for a year and ended up even heavier, topping out at 205# on my 5'8" frame. A doctor friend told me to check out Atkins, based on his other patients successes. I picked it up, and loved the idea of it. Immediately went into the "Induction" phase, started losing weight from day 4 and ended up all the way to "Lifetime Maintenance" phase in 2 years. I was about 165# and had hit that plateau for months, figuring that was that.

Over the next few years, I stuck to Atkins but cheated often with grains (pizza, primarily), so my weight fluctuated between my 165# "minimum" and about 175#. Sleep wasn't solid, I had no drive to do anything, and business suffered.

About 2 years ago, a friend turned me on to the paleo raw movement. I tried it for 2 weeks and HATED it, so I dropped back to 80% Atkins, 20% carbkins. Then a few weeks later, I discovered Mark's TPB and loved the science behind it -- I have a scientific and inquisitive mind, and never heard of the n-3/n-6 debates or that saturated fat was way better than PUFAs and MUFAs.

I did 80/20% Primal Blueprint/other for a year, shedding enough body fat to get me to about 155#. I actually saw some abs, although I wasn't working out much.

A year ago, I went full Primal Blueprint, gaining muscle and losing fat but still weighing in at 155#. Around the beginning of 2011, I read Dr. Kurt Harris' Archevore blog, and started to browse the paleo/primal websites, finally jumping into a 100% Primal/Paleo mix.

In the past few months, I've finally shed those 10 remaining pounds, mostly by IF consistent, more workouts (frisbee, some weight lifting, and lots of slow persistent movements). Almost ALL the fat on the sides of my back is gone, no loose skin, and my abs show up without me having to pose. At 37, I can keep up with 100% of the guys I employ who are all 21-29. I'm faster than they are, recover almost immediately from fast frisbee-chasing sprints, and get plenty of compliments from the ladies on the street (and also many disparaging remarks about being too skinny again).

My goals for 2011-2012 are to gain 10# of lean muscle mass, become faster and stronger, and try to kick the smoking habit once and for all.

I am also the founder of PrimalConnect, a soon-to-be-announced primal/paleo magazine, social network, dating platform and news aggregator of all things healthy.

Thanks for sharing your stories, recipes, and questions here -- I've been reading the forums for probably a year. Awesome folks!
    Great stuff, and I'll be sure to check out your website!

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member
    That's great! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm in a nearby suburb so it's great to have Primal neighbors!

I'll check out the site too.

-adam

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, lssanjose!

Adam: Great name (my first, too). What burb are you from? We're doing a paleo-primal gathering at one of my warehouses all summer long -- frisbee and some other primal sports.

Edit: Whoops, I just noticed you're from Park Ridge. I was born and raised there (Go Hawks!), and currently have a condo in Rosemont, just down the street from you. Hit me up here on PM sometime.
    Last edited by ABDada; 06-21-2011 at 10:53 PM.