Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat Loss Exercise page

Bumpton Guest

Shop Now

I've been eating primal for a while now, and have lost quite a bit of fat. I've been avoiding exercise just because I used to hate it so much when I was overweight. Now that I'm getting closer to where I want to be though, I really want to step it up and try to burn fat even faster.

What would you guys suggest for some good fat loss exercises? I'm really not looking to gain a ton of muscle at the moment.

My current plan was to take regular walks and bike rides while doing mainly core body weight stuff (planks, pull ups, push ups, etc.). Good? No good?

Atomontage Guest

Sounds good to me, but I'm sure others will follow with more comprehensive comments soon. Keep in mind that adding muscle (even lean muscle) helps with burning fat. Walks and bike rides are great ways to get the heart rate up while not actually *feeling* like you're exercising just for the sake of exercising. Do you play any sports? A pick-up game of basketball with friends, touch football in the park or some soccer might also help to incorporate movement without the "exercise" stigma. Have any dogs? I have two and they're great to exercise with. =) A game of chase in the park is always good.

mstrudle is offline Member

I lost 25 pounds of body fat in two months just through wrestling (albeit it was for two hours five days per week). Build up to higher intensity exercise as your body acclimates to the new strain, but what you have right now is fairly good to start with. Do you think you are able to add in sprints or weight lifting?

SocraticMethod is offline Junior Member

HIIT is a great way to burn fat, if your body is up to it. I wouldn't suggest doing it more than once or twice a week, though. And if you're new to it, start with once per week, imo.

As Eric said, adding muslce will help you burn more fat. Don't worry about gaining "a ton of muscle." Trust me, it's not easy to pack on muscle. Right now, there are countless guys in gyms around the world struggling to put on weight/muscle, then rushing home to take Weight Gainer 3000. If it were easy, there'd be a lot more jacked guys walking around looking like bodybuilders. Putting on muscle is a byproduct not just of lifting, but also eating a whole heck of a lot. If you're still eating for fat loss, adding in strength training will help, it will not make you huge overnight. And if you include the cardio activities you're already doing (walking, biking, etc) along with Eric's suggestions of playing sports and some HIIT, you will have even less to worry about re: getting big.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I'd highly recommed some HIIT as stated above. It's quick, intense, and then you're done. A pretty easy way to get some very intense excercise in on a regular basis.

There are many of us in these forums that post our daily routines and workouts. Most of them seem to be HIIT if you're looking for some ideas. Just do a search for 'WOD'.

A good place to start would be bodyweight exercises from the comfort of your own home.

I grok, therefore I am.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Also, there's a good video on youtube (I'd post the link but the tube is blocked here at work) with Brad Pilon and he goes on to explain how fasting and exercise very closely stimulate the same response in our bodies.

You said you want to burn fat even faster, so if you combine a fast with some HIIT, you're golden!

I grok, therefore I am.

Bumpton Guest

Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

I'm actually fasting as we speak. I've been trying it once every couple weeks.

I keep seeing "HIIT" on this site. Is that high intensity interval training? Sounds... intense. Would it be too much for someone with so little experience working out?

Eric's suggestions are pretty in tune with what I've been doing recently, just trying to get more active in general.

I guess I won't get too worried about muscle and just starting trying some HIIT. Will the WOD search give me detailed info on it? I really don't know anything about what it entails exactly.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

"What would you guys suggest for some good fat loss exercises? I'm really not looking to gain a ton of muscle at the moment."

If it were only that easy... just workout for a week and gain a ton of muscle.

Try making it fun... like join a basketball league or start a martial art.

For pure fat loss/no muscle gain, try a boxing conditioning routine.

I would strongly recommend starting a strenght training routine though... the benefits are HUGE and your fat loss will increase 10 fold.

Theriomorphos Guest

Strength training movements concentrated around exercises like squats, deadlifts, clean and presses, barbell lunges etc.

Strongman training like car pushing, sledge hammer training, buddy walking ( walking fast with a person of equivalent bodyweight or close hanging on to your back, barrel throwing etc )

Try hitting a bag few times a week or better yet join a mma class for conditioning.

You can also incorporate some bodyweight movements like Burpees and it's different variations. They are a killer.

Kettlebell movements like high rep kettlebell snatch, clean and jerk, dumbell swings are da bomb.

Good luck.....

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Are you male or female?

I'm asking because you say you "don't want to gain a lot of muscle," which is usually a concern for women when it comes to weight lifting...However, this is a falacy, you wouldn't get *big*, you'd just look better.

HIIT is excellent because you can tailor it to your level. I find this site helpful sometimes: http://fitness-solution.blogspot.com/ especially for newbies, since they address each fitness level...

I'm assuming you'd feel most comfortable just sticking solely with bodyweight exercises, which I generally do myself and have experienced fantastic gains, as long as you work to your full capacity...I would suggest assessing your fitness level beforehand by doing as many squats, push-ups, dips, pull-ups, chin-ups, lunges..(what else am I missing?) Since most of the bodyweight HIIT routines consist of these exercises.

One of my circuits I do that ensures I "push it" only takes 12 or so minutes: 2 mins. jumping jacks, 2 mins. (weighted) situps, 2 mins. squats, 2 mins. push-ups, 2 mins. lunges, 2 mins. dips, with a 30-60sec. break between sets. Try to knock out as MANY as possible in your 2 minute window (and record it, for progress..) The great thing about bodyweight exercises is that it's kind of hard to over-do it, 'cause when you can't do another push-up, your body will sure as hell let you know... Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast