Thread: Chicken livers' color range. Is darker better? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Chicken livers' color range. Is darker better?

I bought a few pounds of chicken liver and some are brown while others are red. Why the differences and is one color better than another?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Nobody knows?

Paleobird Guest
    Not a clue but it's a good question. It might have to do with what they are fed or how old they were when they were slaughtered. Actually the second makes some sense. Calf liver is always a lighter color than beef liver.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    also, how LONG AGO they were slaughtered probably has an influence too. think of the color of fresh ground meat versus if you open the package and expose it to the air for a few hours.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    also, how LONG AGO they were slaughtered probably has an influence too. think of the color of fresh ground meat versus if you open the package and expose it to the air for a few hours.
    Good point.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I see great variation in liver and kidney colours from a range of beasts at my local butcher. I'll ask him next time I'm there
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine