Thread: How can I improve my gut flora? page

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member

How can I improve my gut flora?

Shop Now
    I eat Primally, and my 20% is more like 10%. I don't drink that much water (I read Mark doesn't drink much either). I eat veggies, fats, animals, some dairy like yogurt, kefir (yogurt and kefir I just added in yesterday), butter, and cheese. I get good movement working in a grocery store, constantly moving around and such. I sleep well most days, getting a good 8 hours.

I can't afford much right now, though in a few months I can buy whatever once school starts. Is there anything I can do now or later (with more money) to keep my gut in check and where it should be? I suspect that it isn't where it should be.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Yoghurt and kefir are a good start. You'll need to give it a few weeks to build up your gut flora.

Another thing you can try is fermenting vegetables - sauerkraut, kimchi etc. Very inexpensive
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I would include a good probiotic supplement like a Jarrow-Dophilus. Or you can get in some natural probiotics by eating sauerkrauts, kimchi and other fermented foods. Rich bone broths are really good for the gut, I would definitely incorporate that. You seem to be getting enough sleep. Your diet seems pretty clean but if you are still experiencing gut issues I would eliminate the dairy or change it up a bit. Instead of eating conventional cheese try a raw milk cheese, instead of butter use ghee. Other than that make sure you are not stressing too much as that can affect your HCL in the stomach. Good luck!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highaerials36 View Post
    Is there anything I can do now or later (with more money) to keep my gut in check and where it should be? I suspect that it isn't where it should be.
    Generally, as others have said, fermented foods. Yoghurt and kefir, as you say, but also naturally fermented vegetables, as with sauerkraut. Beet kvass is another option.

Here's how:

YouTube - ‪beet kvaas pt1 210208‬‏

YouTube - ‪Beet Kvass pt2 210208‬‏

Otherwise, there are probiotic pills. It's said that you do have to watch what's in them—makers will add extra cultures you probably don't need. Product differentiation, I guess. For example, some will have bifidus in, but that's a bit controversial—it's in the guts of babies for digesting breast milk, but it's questionable whether adults should supplement it, and it is said to be invasive and a bad neighbour to other gut flora.

The WAPF people are keen on gelatine-rich broths for helping digestion (also they sometimes mention Swedish bitters)—as here:

Adjusting To Traditional Foods

If you really have got bad problems with gut flora—the wrong ones in there—then the only option might be to starve 'em out. This is what the Specific carbohydrate Diet aims to do. The protocol is that you avoid all hard-to-digest sugars and carbohydrates and keep that up for a year after there are no symptoms left. Basically, you eliminate table sugar (which you'll have mostly done on Primal anyway), almost all starches (root veg as well as bread, pasta, rice, etc.), and anything containing lactose—milk sugar. If you really do have an invasion by the wrong gut flora the only dairy products you can safely eat are properly aged cheese and youghurt that you've made yourself—commercial yoghurt isn't fermented long enough to turn all the lactose to lactic acid.

SCD info:

Main template

Come to think of it, there's a acidophilus supplement from someone with connections with the SCD thing that could be worth a try:

Lucy's Kitchen Shop. | Lyo-San Acidophilus Capsules

So, in conclusion, I'd just try some fermented foods and probiotic supplements first (and make sure all the sugar's gone from your diet—no chocolate, for example). But you may need to go a bit further if you really have got obvious symptoms of intestinal problems.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if they help gut flora, but as mentioned above, bitters will aid in digestion (any bitter foods - like raw, undressed spinach, escarole, etc), even unsweetened tea or lemon. It sends a signal to your brain that none of the other flavors directly trigger and aids in the absorption of nutrients.