Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help and advice need for teenage daughter page

edgehill10 is offline Member

Help and advice need for teenage daughter

Primal Fuel
    For the last two months or so my daughter, who is nearly 17, has been feeling nauseous every time she eats. The situation has been slowly building to the point where she is heaving after a few bites.
    She has never been a big eater, totally non primal and not likely to join me any time soon.
    It has always been difficult catering for her with her not liking vegetables bar lettuce, not a big fan of meat or fish recently it seems she has existed off frozen chips, cereal, flavoured yogurts and pasta salads, despite my protestations and urgings to have something else.
    Lately she has been out at friends alot and it has been hard keeping tabs on whats she's been eating and as to how bad the situation has got, which i feel bad about.
    All this has come to a head with her refusing to come out for a family restaurant meal in case she throws up in public.
    Its not that she doesn't want to eat, she does try, but is distressed when she feels the nausea coming on.
    She has just finished her exams (GCSEs) which has been additional stress.
    I'm going to book an appointment at the doctors this week, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this or suggestions what to do?

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    This is good to try and pinpoint from symptoms what it could be:
    Nausea and Vomiting -- familydoctor.org

You should take her to a doctor. It sounds like maybe gallbladder issues. Not good the way she is eating. I hope it's not an eating disorder.

Sue - thank you for the link.
    Had a look but nothing seems to apply. She has no other symptoms, is in good health, just this sick feeling when she eats.
    I'm booking her an appt with the doctor this week.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    Is she pregnant?
    It's been happening for over a couple months, not sure why she wasn't taken to the doctor sooner?

No, shes not pregnant, I would have known if she had actively been sick.
    As shes not been at home for mealtimes alot recently its not been apparent as to how bad she is affected. it is dry heaves mainly and at first it was only every so often when she wasn't home, almost like a nervous reaction, afraid of being sick.
    But this week its been happening at home too. its been a build up over the two months.
    Plus she didn't tell me how bad it was as she knows I panic like a wet hen if I think one of my chicks is ill.
    Last edited by edgehill10; 06-21-2011 at 08:43 AM.

I hope all is well.

I had the same nauseated feelings when I was pregnant. Never threw up either.

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    the only reason I asked if she was pregnant was because that was the only time I felt like that. I never threw up, just the thought of food made me feel sick and like I wanted to.

Well i hope shes not pregnant, i'd hope she would tell me that. Shes been on the pill because of painful periods for nearly a year so that narrows the chances.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Is she underweight for her age/height? If so, I'd suspect anorexia. If she hasn't been eating in front of you, and won't - or can't - eat in public, the stress of having to do so could make her nauseous.

This requires professional help and if you can't get it from your family doctor, contact a mental health network in your area.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I would be concerned about anorexia too. One of my school friends was anorexic and she presented it as feeling sick when she ate. I remember she used to carry a big bar of chocolate around in her bag and kept telling us how she wasn't eating it because it would make her feel sick.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast