Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Vegetarian page

chloemoon is offline Junior Member

Primal Vegetarian

Shop Now
    Hi, I'm pretty new to primal and am a vegetarian, although I do eat massive amounts of fish and shell fish. So, I guess that makes me a pesce-vegetarian. God, I hate labels! Anyway, I read the Paleo Diet for athletes and decided to try it, although I am not a big fan of meat. I'm a long distance runner and thought it best to change my diet a bit, since I've been focused on consuming lots of beans and grains. Even with the bloat, the gas problems and stomach issues I had when I consumed grains I still kept eating it.

Well, since I started my version of the Paleo Vegetarian diet (2months), my stomach issues have decreased and I have a lot of energy to sustain my ultra marathon training. My diet is pretty much comprised of vegetables, fruits, lots of fish and shell fish, eggs, and nuts. I stopped tofu, a huge staple in my diet that took some getting use to. I haven't been able to find much recipes for fish, so I've been free styling it.

While, I've tried to swallow a hunk of meat down, I can't get past the smell and texture. I do take my multi-vitamin. My doctor said I'm pretty much healthy, but is concerned with my calorie consumption.I wondered if it was ok, to be a Primal Vegetarian?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    does your doctor think you are eating too few calories? throw some butter on those things. too many? remind him/her that running requires fuel.

as to the 'is it ok to be a vegetarian' question, the answer is ok. fish is great, but if you could learn to like meat it might come in handy. it's nothing you have to adapt to over night; you can start small (i believe bacon is the preferred cross-over meat) and work up to some other options, knowing that the nutrition you're getting from beef is going to be better than the nutrition you get from a multi-vitamin.
    for now, though, you're getting your protein and shunning the grains...and that's good.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I am a distance runner too... and I was vegan when I started Primal blueprint. I have found the same thing as you. All my runner belly problems went away with the grains and beans.

Both of Marks cook books have lots and lots of recipes for fish and eggs. You won't go hungry. ooo... and someware on here he has a recipe for coco date balls. They work way better than the goo packs on a run.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    It's not ideal to be vegetarian and primal. Since you eat lots of fish and eggs, you do get protein, but animal fats are really important too.

Honestly I think eliminating the grains in your diet will be enough of a change to be worth the effort. A diet comprised largely of tofu and grains was probably shaving years off your life... How many calories do you typically eat?

Hi Secretlobster,
    I probably get in anywhere between 1600-1800 calories a day, but I'm working on that, since I don't have a big appetite to begin with. However, I am a big grazer so I eat little things like nuts, vegetables and fruits throughout the day. I have Mark's smoothie book and made a few of his smoothies that added some more calories to my diet. Thanks for the shout out!!

Hi Zophie!! Since the diet change, my stomach is a lot better and I've had this crazy amount of energy where I can fit in at least another half hour of weight training (nothing spectacular) into my training runs. I've got Mark's smoothie book and am purchasing his cookbook as we speak. I think that I''m a little hesitant to eat meat because I haven't eaten it so long, but I''m realizing maybe vegetarian may not have been the diet my body needed. Hmmmm...

My doc does indeed think I am not getting enough calories since he reviewed my food diary. I have Mark's smoothie book and have incorporated more calories into my diet and feel a lot better as well as energized. As far as the meat thing, I'm trying. I do cook meat for the family and have tasted pork fat and I have to say it was like meeting Jesus in person. I nearly passed out, it was so good! I will start with bacon and see where that goes. Who knew grains caused so much trouble? Bah!!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chloemoon View Post
    Hi, I'm pretty new to primal and am a vegetarian, although I do eat massive amounts of fish and shell fish. So, I guess that makes me a pesce-vegetarian. God, I hate labels! Anyway, I read the Paleo Diet for athletes and decided to try it, although I am not a big fan of meat. I'm a long distance runner and thought it best to change my diet a bit, since I've been focused on consuming lots of beans and grains. Even with the bloat, the gas problems and stomach issues I had when I consumed grains I still kept eating it.
    Running on Empty | Running Times Magazine

Well, since I started my version of the Paleo Vegetarian diet (2months), my stomach issues have decreased and I have a lot of energy to sustain my ultra marathon training. My diet is pretty much comprised of vegetables, fruits, lots of fish and shell fish, eggs, and nuts. I stopped tofu, a huge staple in my diet that took some getting use to. I haven't been able to find much recipes for fish, so I've been free styling it.
    Learn how to ferment legumes, including soy.

Anave is offline Member
    I also went from vegan (almost no soy though) to paleo, and I still don't eat much meat beyond fish/seafood, eggs, and poultry. I was never a big fan of red meat even before going vegan, and although some people seem to need it, I haven't felt like I do. As long as I'm making sure to get plenty of healthy fats into my diet by way of good oils and fish such as salmon and sardines, my body seems perfectly content for now without the steak.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

While, I've tried to swallow a hunk of meat down, I can't get past the smell and texture. I do take my multi-vitamin. My doctor said I'm pretty much healthy, but is concerned with my calorie consumption.I wondered if it was ok, to be a Primal Vegetarian?
    As I always point out, Mark's wife, Carrie, is vegetarian except for fish and some protein powder. Mark's son is vegetarian or vegan, can't remember which. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast