Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF and Sprinting page

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member

IF and Sprinting

Primal Fuel
    I using Leangains protocol, my first me is normally around 2 pm last meal at 8pm. I lift weights at 5:30 am but have recently had a little more time on my hands so I will either sprint on a treadmill right after weights or go to a local turf field and sprint there at about noon. Is this too much while still fasting? I can't quite go with results yet because I have only been doing this for a few days. Thanks.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't sprint daily whether fasting or not, but try it for a few days, easy to remember what NOT to do after you do it.

(I suggest sprinting 2x a week max with enough rest days in between, if you're sprinting hard which you should be, your body will be aching the next day making that day's sprint something you'll want to re-consider)

Also, Martin suggests lower level activity in the fasted state. Weights are fine, but he also suggests walking if you find yourself wanting to do something fasted. Sprinting can be counter-productive in this stance.

I only sprint fasted, but only once a week, and sometimes my previous meal was a few hours after, sometimes the night before if I'm sprinting in the A.M.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Iniquity. Fasted or not, I only do sprints once or twice per week. If you want to do something really healthy, then take a long walk every day. You can do it fasted, unfasted, anytime, and it's very good for you.

Great guys, sounds good. I wanted to incorporate them somehow and I had seen that Martin only recommended walking. Ill stick to twice a week and see how it goes, thanks!

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    Better be using BCAA's for fasted training, let alone sprinting...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicator View Post
    Better be using BCAA's for fasted training, let alone sprinting...
    or what?

Read a recent post from TheLeanSaloon and realized I could live with or without the BCAA's. I have tried both ways and I personally do not seem to gain or lose any muscle if I use them or not. Rather not honestly, trying to stay completely primal and there were no GNC's when Grok was around as far as I know.....

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I like the BCAAs for training. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I think they help me with getting through the tough times.
    I sprint 2x/week fasted, usually first thing in the morning and eat my first meal about 5 or 6 hours later (at 2PM). Hasn't affected me negatively.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Personally I'm on and off with BCAA or any other supp because I forget to take them all the time (except maybe fish oil which I remember to pack along with lunch) I'm no scientist, but I'm almost convinced that BCAAs are really more about the placebo effect than anything else. You also have to be careful to give credit to the right things. I clearly remember during my only whole30 experiment that I did everything "right" meaning sprinting, lifting, eating, sleeping, resting, etc. I credited BCAA with increases in strength and "improved" recovery (I felt less sore, basically) when I should've credited myself, my hard work, my clean diet, and my stellar sleeping/resting habits. Is it possible that BCAA helps a little? absolutely, but is it indispensable? I don't think so.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 06-23-2011 at 08:05 AM.

walteri is offline Junior Member
    iniQuity,

I am with you on the BCAA debate, I took them religiously during my last cycle of SL 5x5 and acheived great gains during the cycle. However, its really difficult to tell if it was from improved sleeping habits, cleaner diet, etc.

I have been super relaxed in taking them before training during this cycle but I am weaker because I did a cycle of All Pro 2.0 in between and that is when I stopped using BCAA, hard to tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast