Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting pain in upper arm page

tommyho1 is offline Member

shooting pain in upper arm

Primal Fuel
    hey guys,

so i know the obvious advice is to go to a doctor and get it checked out, but my problem is that i live in a small town in south korea and my korean is not yet good enough to deal with such a task - i dont think...

the pain is definitely not excrutiating, however it would be good to have some idea what im dealing with.

anyway, i have developed a pain over the last week or two during and after lifting weights. the pain's origin is halfway between my shoulder and elbow on the outer of my arm - kind of between my tricep and bicep. at first i thought it might be rotator-cuff related, but i think it is too far down my arm for this. the pain is at its worst when doing overhead presses and also chest work.

any thoughts?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    If you're sure it's muscular pain, rest for a couple of weeks!

i dont think it is muscular - that is my main concern - it is between my tricep and bicep on the "top" of my arm

Grizz is offline Banned
    I agree with knife, stop the workouts until you are healed. This can take 6 months or more for a damaged muscle. Go workout on the treadmil, do you ABS & legs until then. Trust me-it is muscular. Bones don't cause pain, do they? And it is not your skin in pain, is it? The only thing left is muscle pain or nerve pain. If it were nerve pain, it would hurt regardless of what you were doing with the arm.

Grizz

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Supraspinatus. What you describe was my major, and most painful symptom.

the supraspinatus is more of the shoulder if im not wrong?? my pain is down my arm between elbow and shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyho1 View Post
    the supraspinatus is more of the shoulder if im not wrong?? my pain is down my arm between elbow and shoulder.
    And that is exactly where you feel the pain of a supraspinatus that is very unhappy. The pain can/will radiate down the arm to that area. My flare up took over a year to resolve 'cuz I let it go so long. Don't make my mistake and get your shoulder checked out.

Here, this is pretty good and reads just like my Dr. described ti to me and where you can feel pain.

Shoulder Series #2: Supraspinatus Tendinitis || Massage Therapy Articles

jswanz1 is offline Member
    Hey bud,

I'm a PT and definitely agree you are having referred pain from your shoulder. Most likely an impingement syndrome of said supraspinatus. It is usually a multifaceted problem involving poor thoracic spine and rib mobility, "tight" shoulder internal rotators (pecs, lats in particular), and weak external rotators. There also could be some neck stuff going on as well, but couldn't tell you for sure without looking at your myself obviously.

Anyway I would recommend checking out mobilitywod.com. This is a great site for learning self care/mobilization and learning about how important appropriate positioning is to improve athletic prowess while reducing potential risk for injury. Kelly knows his stuff and offers up a ton of useful information.

In addition I would recommend taking at least week or 2 off from any movements that exacerbate your symptoms. Ice your shoulder at least 4 times a day until it goes numb to help with inflammation target the tendon if you can, here is a picture for reference (File:Supraspinatus.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and check out those WODS. Here are a few to get you started:

Episode 242/365: Soft Tissue MobRx for the Shoulder | Mobility WOD
    Episode 209/365: Free Your Ribs, Your Mind Will Follow | Mobility WOD
    I Will Bend Like a Reed In the Wind, Episode 9 | Mobility WOD

You get the idea.

BTW this stuff can get really nasty, but should 'hurt so good'...If anything reproduces your symptoms STOP immediately. Also don't feel that you need the fancy bands that are in the videos as you can do a lot of the stretches just holding onto a door jamb.

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot away and good luck!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had similar symptoms lately, and while I was quick to blame the bench press I am now convinced that it's caused by bad hand positioning during low bar squats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast