Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B12 deficient????? really??? page

moonablaze is offline Senior Member

B12 deficient????? really???

I've recently been dealing with a rather serious bout of the depression I've been dealing with all my life. My new psychiatrist wanted to do some blood work. My thyroid is in great shape, D3 is perfect (per ranges on vitamin d council) but my B12 is SUPER low. 224. doc wants it over 500. I've never been vegetarian and I've been gluten free for over a year. (I do eat some rice and corn from time to time and way more sugar than I should, but I'm working on it. being depressed makes staying strictly primal hard for me). I'm eating a lot of good meat and eggs (and of course veggies), any idea why it might be so low? anybody else have this happen? I'm going to begin B12 shots tomorrow, but any idea of what else I might do to fix the problem?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I had a B12 deficiency before going primal and needed injections. I was surprised to find my levels were only marginally higher eating a primal diet. Just FYI - With your levels the injections are probably not necessary. I use an oral/sublingual methyl-B12 that seems to be working well (made by Jarrow).

Do you eat any organ meats or clams/mussles/oysters? These really are the most abundance sources of B12 and I don't think it is that difficult to become deficient if you are not eating those foods.

Awesome that you have a doc that considers 224 to be low. By CW standards in the US that is a normal B12 level. Hopefully injections or supplements will perk you up!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shit, I just got bloodwork done and mine was in the 800's. I started supplementing with Jarrow Formula's Methyl B-12, though. I was only taking it 1-2 weeks prior to my bloodwork, though. Hmmm...I need to start eating some liver.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

In europe/japan they consider under 550 to be low, and the medical community here is beginning to catch on that between 200-500 you don't have pernicious anemia but you might just have deficiency symptoms anyway (particularly the mental health ones) it was actually noted on my lab result slip! It helps that I'm a student on a major research-medical school campus and go to the health center there.

I don't currently eat much organ meat and I don't like seafood but I'm working on the organ meat, starting with chicken liver pate.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    In europe/japan they consider under 550 to be low, and the medical community here is beginning to catch on that between 200-500 you don't have pernicious anemia but you might just have deficiency symptoms anyway (particularly the mental health ones) it was actually noted on my lab result slip! It helps that I'm a student on a major research-medical school campus and go to the health center there.

I don't currently eat much organ meat and I don't like seafood but I'm working on the organ meat, starting with chicken liver pate.
    I completely agree that 200 is a ridiculously low cut-off. When I had a vitD level of 27 and a B12 level of 170 - my doctor said those were close enough and I was fine! So I'm always surprised (jealous ?) when I hear of people whose physicians are more current on such matters.

I started with chicken livers as well just recently, they were much better than I expected. Good luck!

Also - I wanted to add that I have read a few cases around here of eggs causing/worsening depression. Just something to keep in mind.

eggs, really? I always have more energy when I start my day with eggs...

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Has the doctor checked for pernicious anemia? Within gluten damage it can happen. A celiac friend of mine developed it and now needs B12 injections.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my CBC came back clean. Although high folic acid levels (which I have) could mask pernicious anemia, blood levels of B12 over 200 usually mean no anemia. but I'll be getting the injections either way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast