Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: Don Matesz of Primal Wisdom says Farewell to Paleo?? page

  1. #1
    Rainbird2's Avatar
    Rainbird2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22

    Don Matesz of Primal Wisdom says Farewell to Paleo??

    Primal Fuel
    Really? I thought all he did was research night and day. For him to change his mind like this is kind of baffling to me.

    I've been questioning my Paleo diet, too, unfortunately. I love eating this way, but I'm concerned about my newly developed leg cramps and restless legs at night. Also, I'm having problems with constipation and my baby is displaying signs of food intolerance. I'm a little concerned about my growing kids (other two are 5 and 3). If I'm experiencing this, and they are eating the same as me, aren't they deficient in something, too? I don't want to supplement them with magnesium, potassium, etc. because I really don't know how it will effect them.

    Geez...why can't this be easy?

    But enough about me...what is your take on Don's switch??

  2. #2
    Rainbird2's Avatar
    Rainbird2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22

  3. #3
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbird2 View Post
    I love eating this way, but I'm concerned about my newly developed leg cramps and restless legs at night. Also, I'm having problems with constipation and my baby is displaying signs of food intolerance.
    Interesting, because I was developing restless leg symptoms and they disappeared when I went Primal.

    Is it actual constipation (discomfort, etc) or are you just not pooping as often as you're used to? Most people seem to produce a lot less because there isn't as much waste from the grains.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  4. #4
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbird2 View Post
    Really? I thought all he did was research night and day. For him to change his mind like this is kind of baffling to me.

    I've been questioning my Paleo diet, too, unfortunately. I love eating this way, but I'm concerned about my newly developed leg cramps and restless legs at night. Also, I'm having problems with constipation and my baby is displaying signs of food intolerance. I'm a little concerned about my growing kids (other two are 5 and 3). If I'm experiencing this, and they are eating the same as me, aren't they deficient in something, too? I don't want to supplement them with magnesium, potassium, etc. because I really don't know how it will effect them.

    Geez...why can't this be easy?

    But enough about me...what is your take on Don's switch??
    You are probably having a deficiency in Magnesium or possibly potassium. Many paleo eaters need to supplement with Mg.

  5. #5
    Rainbird2's Avatar
    Rainbird2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    You are probably having a deficiency in Magnesium or possibly potassium. Many paleo eaters need to supplement with Mg.
    But why when I eat foods that are supposedly highest in magnesium and potassium? And I eat organic, local when I can. And no gluten/grains that inhibit absorption... When I try to take a magnesium supplement, it messes with my bowels and causes me to be a raging bitch. Why??? And again, if I'm deficient, what about my kids? Am I supposed to supplement them, too?

    And why did Don leave Paleo?

  6. #6
    Stabby's Avatar
    Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stabsville
    Posts
    2,462
    Yep, you're deficient. If you take one thing away from Don (you should only take one thing away from Don ) it is that your average person eating a diet like this is at risk for a few nutritional deficiencies. Cover your ass, yo.

    I don't know what you mean by "the foods highest in potassium". Tomatoes have plenty of potassium but if you only eat 1 tomato you don't get a lot of potassium. Do you use fitday or other nutrition trackers?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

    Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

  7. #7
    nocturnalmama's Avatar
    nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    180
    Interesting.... but poorly referenced, and totally anecdotal. I hope he has found something that works for him...

    Someone posted the paleo diet vs the paleo template blog post the other day... and that really resonated with me. I think there is a basic framework of whole foods that does not include cereal grains or neolithic foods - and within that framework is the "right" diet for most everyone.

    I'm open to experimentation - I know something is amiss for me as my hormones are out of whack and I have heightened anxiety/mental chatter. So... is that more carbs, less carbs, more fat, less fat.... less meat, more veggies, less fruit? no nuts, no dairy?? So, I'll tinker within the paleo framework to find something that works well for me.

    I think the framework is sound for a paleo diet, I really do...
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

  8. #8
    Rainbird2's Avatar
    Rainbird2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Yep, you're deficient. If you take one thing away from Don (you should only take one thing away from Don ) it is that your average person eating a diet like this is at risk for a few nutritional deficiencies. Cover your ass, yo.

    I don't know what you mean by "the foods highest in potassium". Tomatoes have plenty of potassium but if you only eat 1 tomato you don't get a lot of potassium. Do you use fitday or other nutrition trackers?
    According to WHFoods:

    WHFoods: potassium

    WHFoods: magnesium

    Aside from the legumes, I eat everything on these lists, daily...why the deficiencies??

    And why the anger issues with supplementing with Natural Calm?

    And should I supplement my kids if a Paleo diet causes deficiencies? What diet DOESN'T cause deficiencies? I thought Paleo was best...what am I doing to my kiddos?? I thought this was good for them.

    I'm a little sad right now.

    Anyone give supplements to their kids? Maybe I should start a separate post for this.

  9. #9
    Stabby's Avatar
    Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stabsville
    Posts
    2,462
    Okay I don't know then. I think you need to take a step back because you sound very anxious and not mentally healthy, could stressing over everything possibly be causes your problems? You say that you have problems but you have absolutely no deficiencies and you are doing everything right apparently (although I still don't know if you are actually eating a lot of these high-magnesium foods, like I said, the simple fact that you eat these foods doesn't mean you eat a lot of them, enough to get at least the RDA for magnesium and potassium. I simply don't know that). You are worried about your kids. Go back to eating junk and step stressing so much about food? I mean you clearly had better health eating what you were before.

    As a side note there is such thing as too much protein for some people, especially muscle meat protein. Large amounts of methionine-rich protein can cause problems for many people, especially if they are coming from a history of health conditions. Too little carbohydrate can do it, it definitely causes problems for some people. Whoever said that you needed to limit yourself to X amount of carbohydrates might have been wrong. There is no reason why someone can't get healthy and achieve optimal body composition eating as much primal carbohydrate as they want.

    You shouldn't have an adverse reaction to magnesium, it sounds like you might have malabsorption issues from a leaky gut (not just caused by grain lectins, caused by tons of stuff). You could try incorporating more gelatin and less muscle meat into your diet and see what happens. I think that gelatinous proteins like bone broth and gelatin powder are essential. That is a paleo diet. Hunter-gatherers eat connective tissues and whatnot.

    Lastly, your kids certainly don't need to be on a low carbohydrate diet. I don't know if they are, you only said paleo, but certainly don't restrict them macronutrients except for too much polyunsaturated fat. I bet your kids could benefit from magnesium. Even if food is organic it's not necessarily going to have a lot of magnesium, it depends upon the soil. Are you taking vitamin ? Vitamin d increases the need for magnesium, that's why I think everyone should supplement with both unless they are getting enough good-quality sun. If they have problems with oral magnesium then they need to find a solution to those problems. Try those suggestions, that's the best I've got.

    edit: oh and if all else fails eat dirt. Are you isolated from microorganisms? It can make people vulnerable to auto-immunity.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-20-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

    Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

  10. #10
    Rainbird2's Avatar
    Rainbird2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    22
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    You say that you have problems but you have absolutely no deficiencies and you are doing everything right apparently You are worried about your kids. Go back to eating junk and step stressing so much about food? I mean you clearly had better health eating what you were before.
    Huh? When did I say I didn't have any deficiencies? And what is wrong with worrying about my kids? That's why we're Paleo.

    Perhaps I'm posting too quickly, or maybe my message is not being conveyed very eloquently...

    Just trying to figure it out. That's all.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •