Thread: Fitness Success Stories -- PRs, Unexpected Advances, and More! page

Velocity is offline Senior Member

Fitness Success Stories -- PRs, Unexpected Advances, and More!

This is in a similar vein to the "Post a Triumph" thread in the Success Stories subforum, but I figured having one dedicated to fitness achievements would be better suited for the Fitness subforum.

So, I'll start... up until last week I'd had difficulty achieving more than one headstand pushup (i.e., handstand pushup but just touching head-to-ground; also with feet against wall) at any given time. My best rep tally in a given training session for HSPU was right around eight -- until today. To my great surprise (and thrill), my first set I did three without really trying, then four the next set. Overall, I got to 17 total HSPU for the day.

How 'bout you?
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Two weeks ago I did my first dead hang pull-up on the monkey bars at the park. Nice & slow both ways!

Totally did it without thinking and hadn't tried to do anything but negatives in the month prior.

darlencegen is offline Junior Member
    that is great!!!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I managed to play tennis with my husband for nearly an hour on Sunday. Last summer, I think I wouldn't have been out there any longer than 5 minutes. Does this count?

I also did 50 wall pushups and 20 squats yesterday!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Dusted our fitness centers trainer on a hill sprint (and she;s 26 and a college sprinter). Needless to say, she was impressed.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I sprinted across a major artery in the city in 3" heels with a half inch platform and still cleared it twice as fast as a man a foot taller than me in loafers.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I just went to a college track with some work buddies (1st time since last fall) and beat the fastest guy on the 100 meter... 1st time in 2 years of us running together.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Two weeks ago I did my first dead hang pull-up on the monkey bars at the park. Nice & slow both ways!

Totally did it without thinking and hadn't tried to do anything but negatives in the month prior.
    That is so AWESOME!!! I am working negatives trying to get my first dhpu by the end of summer. I sometimes feel like it's never going to happen as when I try a dhpu, I barely move :/

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Can't think of anything too recent. I got a couple of muscle-ups (bar, not rings) in May and now I'm just working on "cleaning them up" meaning not kipping as much to get them. I have rings at home but the set up is not ideal, my ceilings are low and don't have anyplace outside to hang them (will be taking them to a pair and finding a good tree branch soon!) so I can't yet practice them on rings, but I think I should be able to once my pulling motion is stronger w/out kip (since right now I can't fully hang from my rings due to no space)

I'm still really back and forth with my ONE true quest -- the free standing handstand. Sometimes I sort of have it, or have a mini breakthrough, other days I'm way off. It's been months people! I've been finding that activating my lower abs really works, and that in my case at least, total body tension is very important. I see other hand balancers seemingly relax their lower body (no tension through the legs, letting their legs bend or hang) but this approach doesn't work well for me and I over-balance.

I CAN now (as of last night when I randomly tried it) press into a shoulder stand but I need a wall since I tend to over balance. I busted my ass when I tried it at a park, so I tried it against the wall and it worked. It's far from an advance maneuver but it's a static hold that I think is important for a few reasons a) develop shoulder strength (esp for free standing handstand push ups) b) develop balance and c) continue to practice pressing up, which develops lower back strength and helps you find a sweet spot when attempting a free balance.

I'm not sure if shoulder stand is the right term, basically I grabbed hold of my push up handles and put my knees up to my chest then rolled forward so as to get inverted (but my head does not touch the floor, the weight is on my hands and shoulders) and then push my legs up towards the ceiling. I'm going to keep playing around with that. I'm not strong enough to push from that position, so I'm still working on the HSPU progressions. I can't wait till I can get a few free standing HSPUs going. Given my progress though it can be another couple of months or a year but whatever. Sorry for the novel.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Completed my longest, essentially non-stop walk ever today... 15 miles, took roughly five hours. My feet are now tired.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal