Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crockpot newbie! page

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member

Crockpot newbie!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I'll be recieving my first ever crockpot tomorrow. I'll also be getting in my 30lbs of pork/beef/lamb(all grass/pasture fed) Woohoo!

Are there any blogs/sites that are primal friendly and dedicated to crockpot recipes?

I did find a roasted chicken recipe on this forum that I'll most definitely be trying.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Crockpots / slow cookers are fantastic. Wield some google-fu and your stomach will thank you! Personally, I tend to throw in whatever veggies I have around, onions n carrots n such, and a chunk o' meat, defrosted. Sploosh in <random spices and condiments>, I'm fond of Worcestershire sauce for beef for example. Pork, I'll stuff in some apples around the onions, and put on a good rub of smoked paprika. Fill mostly to the top of the meat with broth, water n wine, apple juice n water etc etc. Cook until it smells divine. Eat

I remember when I first got my slow cooker, I thought no way is it that easy. Yes, it really is that easy.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    That's what so great about crockpots - you can pretty much throw in whatever you've got and it makes something good.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    This sounds so disgusting, but I threw a whole chicken in mine along with a bottle of oil and vinegar salad dressing, stuffed some onions and carrots around the chicken and let it go. It was *amazing*.

I've been known to toss in a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup, or one of onion and one of mushroom, on top of a pork shoulder. Stuff around with onions etc, and let it go. Also quite amazing.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I've just starting using the crockpot for tougher greens, too, like collard/kale/mustard greens. Google yields plenty of recipes, but the first one I did was to cook some onion and garlic in bacon grease then dumb those into the crockpot with wished (but not dried) greens. Throw in s&p, a little extra bacon grease, and a little seeded jalapeno. It was phenomenal!

Tonight we're having collard greens cooked with tomatoes and a little enchilada sauce for kick. Yummers! I decided on 3 hours on high heat instead of 6 on low, so we'll see how they turn out.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    This past weekend I threw some grass-fed shortribs in my Crockpot with Son of Grok's barbecue sauce "in the raw" - delicious! And now I have a ton of extra sauce for hamburgers this week.

Link to the sauce: Son of Grok Blog Archive SoG Zesty BBQ Zauce

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I have a few crockpot cookbooks that were well used in the pre-primal days. I figure that the only thing necessary is to modify the recipes to make them primal. Mostly, eliminating potatoes and flour, and increasing the proportion of meat, should do the trick. As others have suggested, lots of meat and some veggies will make a great crockpot meal. Good luck and please let us know if you come up with a totally amazing combination.

Wow, so it really is a "just throw anything in there and cook the crap out of it" kind of cooking. Haha!
    I've always heard that, but didn't think it was that literal.
    Thanks guys!

Paleobird Guest
    A Year of Slow Cooking

Try this site. This is a guy who lived out of nothing but his crock pot for a whole year. You have to get creative under those circumstances.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you so much, Paleobird!
    I know what I'm going to be reading tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast