Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Protien Meal Replacement Smoothie/Shake without powder page

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member

High Protien Meal Replacement Smoothie/Shake without powder

Primal Fuel
    Any recipes for one? I'm looking for at least 30 grams of protein. Am willing to try raw eggs.

Edit: this doesn't have to be a pre/post workout anything. Like I said, I want it to be a meal. Breakfast, namely.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Other smoothie protein options that I can think of, along with their drawbacks are....

Dairy: Cottage cheese or greek yogurt (but you might not do dairy or like more sour flavors these lend to)
    Raw eggs (but you only absorb half the protein of a cooked egg, unfortunately. That would be a LOT of raw eggs to get what you want)
    Nut butters (kind of inflammatory, and don't give you that much protein)
    Soy (Some people use silken tofu in smoothies, but that's not primal).

I don't know how big of a shake you want for meal replacement, but I'm not sure any of those options will give you 30 grams of protein in a reasonable sized smoothie. Maybe if you did some kind of a combination of them?

Also, just out of curiosity, why no powders?

Whey protein has been processed in such a way that the fats have been oxidized, and therefore not fit for human consumption.

I know there are some on the market that don't do that, but they're prohibitively expensive.

I thought I'd just use liquid whey, like the kind you get from making cheese, but I did some research today, and it doesn't contain all that much protein after all.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    If your only objection to protein shakes is that whey protein is nasty (and I'm with you on that one) then find another protein powder source... like egg white protein or whole egg protein. I am of the mind that no protein powder is equal to "real" food protein, but hey, sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do kwim? I use egg white protein powder on my high carb/low fat days to get a high protein breakfast without a lot of fat. It works for me (meaning I'm not having any reactions to it, my gut seems fine with it and I'm not experiencing any detrimental effects.)

HTH

Where do you find egg white protein powder?

I would google it, but I know Jay Robb does (though his whey protein is cold processed, and might be in your category of prohibitively expensive, so his egg white powder may be too pricey too).

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    there are a few egg proteins out there

not sure what your threshhold for expensive is, this protein is a bit expensive...comparatively to others, One World Whey
    but is supposed to be great.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    SportProtein.com

This place sells egg white protein in bulk. This would be a great way to get the protein you need without any dairy issues.

Also, this cold-filtered whey protein is $9/lb. I haven't tried it yet, but I know someone else on the forum does and I'm getting some when I run out of my Jay Robb's.

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    GNC or a good health food store or even Fred Meyers has Egg protien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast