Thread: What HIIT Workout Would You Suggest . . . page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

What HIIT Workout Would You Suggest . . .

Shop Now
    For someone who's still just a little (ahem, waaaay) to flabby and heavy for sprints?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Harder to easier:
    1) Very short but steep hill sprints - they really are much safer.
    2) Jump rope
    3) C2 Rower on the hardest setting (get a bit of coaching for the form)
    4) jumping jacks
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Harder to easier:
    1) Very short but steep hill sprints - they really are much safer.
    2) Jump rope
    3) C2 Rower on the hardest setting (get a bit of coaching for the form)
    4) jumping jacks
    Okay - I think I actually like #1 the best. Assuming you mean uphill sprints.
    Jumping rope would probably exceed my coordination somewhere between picking the rope up and swinging it the first time.
    No idea what number 3 is, but I don't have any reasonable access to a gym or even freeweights (aside from my kettlebell)
    Never would have considered Jumping Jacks. But I could see that working at my weight.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, short sprints are the best way to learn sprints, I guess, so good on you. The C2 rower is a kind of standard-equipment stationary rowing machine, it is a great full-body "cardio" workout that can be as intense as you want it without any joint strain. I like to warm up on them. Jump ropes are fun, and jumping jacks are great, it's just one of those simple things that works so well that people forget about them. Good luck! I'm not really any kind of fitness expert, btw, but I don't think Al and others would say this is bad advice. They probably have other cool ideas though - and what about swimming? Swimming is AWESOME.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Hrm. Swimming as sprinting? Dunno if I could pull that off. And anything Al suggested as a HIIT workout might well kill me. That dude is monster fit.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    great advice up above.
    i think that short hill sprints are just about the best way to break into any sprinting work. but, if you are looking to get your heart rate way up there you can also do some good interval work on an exercise bike. the bike was the original equipment used in the tabata protocol, but i prefer a 30 second intense to 30 second rest interval plan. you get that same high metabolic hiit workout...but it's not going to make you a better sprinter.

Well, big as I still am pretty much anything tougher than walking is going to get my heart rate up. But yeah, I'm thinking the uphill sprints will likely serve me best. Particularly since my back yard IS a steep hill.

Now I just need to find something for rainy days and winter workouts.