Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt, or specifically, sodium page 2

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

I'm undecided. There is that book from Dr Brownstein called Salt Your way to Health. Its about the benefits of adding unrefined salt daily.

Tarlach is offline Member

Paleo man didn't eat salt. We get plenty of sodium from meat (the animals that use salt licks). Herbivores require salt licks to get sodium.

There is very little difference between table salt and rock/sea/Celtic salt. They are all sodium chloride and do the same thing to you. Unrefined salts just have other compounds in them also. Celtic salt is the same as table salt, except it has 1.8% Minerals and Trace Elements and may not have added iodine.

The term 'unrefined' is also a lie as completely raw sea salt is bitter because of magnesium and calcium compounds, and thus is rarely eaten.

Form Cordain:

Diseases linked to salt consumption - Hypertension, stroke, osteoporosis, kidney stones, Menierre's Syndrome, stomach cancer, insomnia, motion sickness, asthma, exercise induced asthma.

Sodium does a great job at decalcifying bones. Along with dairy, it seems to be one of the top causes of osteoporosis.

Consuming extra sodium also affects your sodiumotassium ratio, which is another risk of heart disease.

For this reason it's probably quite normal to see the low salt eaters amongst us also eating more meat. If you eat added salt, you have to get more potassium from fruit and veg.

It's one of those things you need to go without for a month or two and see what it does to you. It's amazing where you will taste the natural salt in food, when you aren't overpowering your taste buds all the time. It also makes added salt taste like trash and you will wonder why people do it

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

I'd have to agree with Tarlach. After not consuming salt for about 2 months and then eating a meal heavy in salt my digestive system rebelled like no tomorrow. I almost thought I had a light case of food poisoning.

Once you leave it, going back REALLY messes you up.

That's proof enough for me that it is not essential by any means.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

If we're talking about adding salt to meat before cooking or in stews, etc... it's fine.

If we're talking about eating a basket for french fries loaded with salt from TGI fridays... not so much

Catalina is offline Member

OTB: I'm trying to up my potassium--is that salt substitute of which you speak readily available?

Tarlach: What effects did you notice after cutting out the salt?

Thanks, guys!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Sure. It's in any grocery store with the salt.

Tarlach is offline Member

Same as JustinKN, digestive issues were a biggie. Added salt causes stomach aches and diarrhea (which should be no surprises as salt moves moisture in the body). Also, causes calf cramps at night.

As mentioned, you notice these things a lot more if you go without for a while and then try to have some...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I am sparing with the salt, and prefer to add garlic to everything! lol

Seriously though, I think there are so many other ways to up the flavor in your food. And as a pp said, a pinch in your pot of stew/soup is going to go a long way toward creating depth of flavor.

Sometimes I crave salt, to the point where I want to sprinkle some on a plate and lick it up. I refrain, and eat some bacon or ham instead, but I wonder what THAT's all about!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

If you crave it maybe you need it?

Not saying that you've got it but one of the symptoms for Addison's disease is intense salt cravings plus all the rest of the symptoms.

nina_70 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

lil_earthmomm - I hear you. When I was a kid I actually used to steal the salt pot and just eat it directly. Most kids would go for sugar, but not me...I went for the salt. I'm still a bit of a salt-lover today, but I've found a more balanced diet has gotten rid of most of the cravings and I rarely use it anymore. I do think that if you crave it, there could be some mineral deficiency you need in it. Not everyone aborbs all minerals equally from all foods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12