Thread: Sprint Question page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

Sprint Question

Primal Fuel
    I've received my copy of BP and am currrently reading through. We're easting our way through the last of the garbage in the house (while mostly trying to eat primally) and getting ready to replace the junk with primal goodness.

My wife and I have been walking most nights (it's the busy end of school time for the kids and the weather is kinda gross too but we got in 3+ hours this past week). Once I've read the fitness section and have gotten more used to the diet and "Move Often at a Slow Pace" part down, we are going to integrate the "Lift Heavy Things" and "Sprint Once in a While" too.

My wife and I, 36 and 37 respectively, are both overweight. I weight about 200 lbs. and when I played rugby (although it's been about 14 years), I would get down to 164 lbs during the season and 180 in the off-season. We live a pretty typical sedentary life, unfortunately the kids are learning from our mistakes but we plan to fix that too. My concern with the fitness portion is finding the time after dinner and during weekends full of errands to fit in the sprints and the "Lift Heavy Things."

I was thinking about it last night and I wondered if doing a couple warm up (50-75%) sprints and a couple full sprints each night we walk (energy/motivational levels permitting) would be equal to doing a full half-hour sprint session as outlined in the PBF ebook. Grok would only have to sprint once a day (unless he was having a particularly bad run of luck). I'm just curious to hear what everyone else thought of this? Are their potential negatives to this? Is there more positives in doing a "session" of sprints?

Thanks all! Sorry for the long-windedness.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I think if you did just one quick sprint of about a minute or so during your evening walk would be fine. However, to do a series of 8-10 sprints each night might be taxing on your system.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was thinking maybe 1-2 50m warm-ups and the same 1-2 50m 100% sprints. 2-3 times a week.