Thread: Advice please :) page

blnd4pax is offline Junior Member

Advice please :)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't eaten red meat in about 3.5 years... just fish and poultry meat-wise. When I found out a couple months ago that I have very low iron stores, I started taking an iron supplement. But I've also started rethinking red meat. I know that red meat is a good source of heme iron, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to start incorporating some back into my diet.

I just have one concern... my dad hasn't eaten red meat for about 30 years. When he was 35 or so and hadn't eaten it for about 5 years, he ate a steak and wound up vomiting. It's completely possible that something else caused him to puke, but this is enough to make me want to take extra care should I choose to eat red meat again.

Any thoughts? Perhaps I could start with really small servings?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    That kind of reaction could be psychological. But if you don't eat much meat you could have problems digesting it. Perhaps, at first, cut it up small and stir it into some gelatine-rich broth. It's easier to digest that way.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I was a vegetarian for 14 years, then added back fish & then poultry, so I can relate.

I started with my favorite meat from before--it happened to be roast beef.

Small amounts, yes and try 3-4 oz of kombucha or another fermented food with it, if you think you need some digestive support.

In the last 8 months of being Primal, I have gone from eating a 1/4 pound hamburger to about .7 lbs of steak a day.

The body is very adaptable, if given time!

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    This year I just came off being a vegetarian for 10 years. I hadn't had any kind of meat in that time. I started eating red meat again and did not have any real issues from it besides I got constipated for a transition period. I used prunes and smooth move tea to help with that.
    Like you said, could have been something entirely different that made him puke.
    Another "problem" I had after eating steak is that I started craving it a lot after that. This is coming from a person who was so strongly against it the last 10 years it's not even funny.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad1 View Post
    This year I just came off being a vegetarian for 10 years. I hadn't had any kind of meat in that time. I started eating red meat again and did not have any real issues from it besides I got constipated for a transition period. I used prunes and smooth move tea to help with that.
    Like you said, could have been something entirely different that made him puke.
    Another "problem" I had after eating steak is that I started craving it a lot after that. This is coming from a person who was so strongly against it the last 10 years it's not even funny.
    no ... really it is funny.

Come to teh dark side
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

TomM1026 is offline Junior Member
    The vitamin profile of whole cuts of red meat can't be ignored. It's probably the best type of meat out there, especially for promoting muscle growth.

Even though I am primal, I can understand why somebody has a conscientious objection to red meat.

I agree with the rest of the advice on here. Take it slow.

When I was a kid I threw up from eating an undercooked burger at a diner. I still eat burgers. Although one time I threw up funnel cake and haven't eaten that since so I definitely understand the psychological dilemma as well.
    My blog - FitandFree.net - Live Healthy. Be Awesome.