Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello - need some of your wisdom here! page 2

mac79 is offline Junior Member
    I guess that gives you an idea. I can see just by having to write it all down that I am getting some useless cabs from silly things like ice lollies...noted...something to work on. I do shift work so meals aren't always as simple as breakfast, lunch and dinner. Today I have eaten less:

I am on 1192 cals
    Fat 57 g 44.96%
    Carbs 53 g 18.58%
    Protein 104 g 36.46%

and have trained in the gym today - running again to test the strength in my foot - speed intervals. And lifting heavy stuff on a progressive programme.

I will reel in the silly things like the ice lolly and try to keep lindt for treats. I am feeling increasingly frustrated about the lack of progress. But I have been talking to my OH and reading bits and pieces. I have had some thoughts about why I find it so hard to lose weight, even when on 1200/1300 cals based on a low carb chicken 'n' vegetable diet whilst training very hard for a boxing match.

(Deep breath....)

I have been bulimic since I was about 12/13 which means 20 years of damage. I am mostly recovered. At one point it ruled my life and now, only on the odd bad day. I heard someone say that you are always an alcoholic, it just depends if you drink. I feel much the same way about this. Today I am not drinking....Anyway....

After doing a bit of reading I wonder if this might have damaged my thyroid.... Plus I went on the Cambridge diet/Lighter Life (800 cals per day, shakes, no food) and lost 6 stone to get into the police here in London.

I have got an appointment with my doctor in a couple of days to see if I can persuade him to order a thyroid function test. In the meantime I would value any words of wisdom you guys might have please.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    This may seem odd but try to eat more food. Not a lot. But just a little more. Maybe 200 calories per day average.

And, how are your stress levels? This is VERY important! Do you get 8+ hours of sleep a night?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give it a go. I have noticed that my calories/hunger fluctuates by about 500 calories some days. I am trying to look for patterns and reasons. Toda was quite low - possibly because I was at work. So do you think about 2000 calories built out of 60/20/20?

It is quite counterintuitive after years of eat less - do more! But I am hopeful...and willing.

Tomorrow I am going to the doctors to see about the thyroid test. We'll see. I am quite nervous.

As for sleep - not quite 8 hours and shift work so a bit patchy. Not in a position to demand black out blinds ATM but by winter I hope the OH and I should have our own pace. Stress...hmmm...not the worst it has been but living arrangements aren't as harmonious as we would like. Work doesn't cause stress though. The not losing weight....p@££es me right off though and I can see little indicators creeping back in that usually warn of episodes of ED...so I need to get a handle on it...sharpish. Training definitely helps so now I am back in my feet I think that will help.

I saw a GP today. Not my normal one though but I spoke to him at length. I explained the level of activity and nutrition and that I am tweaking my diet. Explained I had cut gluten and dairy. I didn't go into paleo because I know most doctors will say cut fat and won't understand. But even so my calorie intake isn't massive (I don't think). I explained to him my history of bulimia and stated that I wondered if it was a factor and that maybe I had damaged my thyroid. He agreed to let me have tests including thyroid, fasting glucose and something else. Then he said that I had had a test last summer and it came back as normal (think he said 2.1). To be honest I don't recall but it may have been part of a larger blood test when I was feeling incredibly run down. I asked to make sure that I was having a full thyroid test and he said that if the results were abnormal they look closer at it...or something mumbled to that effect.

So we carried on talking and I said that I train hard, eat as well as possible. I said I could understand if I was 'cheating' and snaffling burgers or chocolate bars etc but that I wasn't. He then looked at my weight and worked out my BMI and said 'well, 30 isn't that bad.' And then went on to say that everybody is different and I might have to accept that I find it hard to lose weight, just as he finds it hard to put on weight. Then he asked where most of the weight was and I said stomach and thighs and he said I might want to consider liposuction.

Liposuction.

Are you shi**ing me? From a doctor. And from a doctor who says a BMI of 30 isn't that bad. And that I might just have to accept that there are pockets of fat I just can't lose. Seriously.

So I am off out for my first outdoors run since breaking my foot, to run off my rage. And then back to the drawing board.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well yesterday I managed a slow walking/but mainly running 5k and today booked my blood tests for next Tuesday. In the meantime I am still shocked about my conversation with the doctor. I am tempted to speak to the practice manager about the sort of advice he is handing out. But on a good note the OH is cooking ribs on the BBQ to go with a big ole salad and avocado.

In the meantime I appreciate any thoughts from you folks. :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12