Thread: Making fizzy drinks page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I like fizzy drinks, and rarely enjoy them. Zevia soda is too sweet. I love kombucha. I just don't like the price at the grocery store, and with my lifestyle right now, making it isn't an option. Hard cider is good but I could do without the alcohol, and the carbs. SO...

I did some googling, and found you can make your own carbonated drinks with lemon juice and baking soda. Anyone ever try this?

What I'm really wondering is, are there adverse effects, and how much is too much to drink?

Your thoughts?

I guess if all else fails, there's still sparking water...

go_ginger_go Guest

Have you ever heard of Juice Squeeze by a company called Crystal Geyser? No sugar, no coloring -- simply fresh juices and carbonated water in a glass bottle. My favorite flavor is Wild Berry. Yum yum. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (plus others, I'm sure) carry "The Squeeze," as I call it.

http://www.crystalgeyserwater.com/ju...ze/cgw_js.html

Osa007 Guest

I know 'nourishing traditions' has various true 'fizzy' drinks, naturally lacto-fermented. Never heard of the lemon juice/baking soda!

Kombucha is very easy...I need to make another batch tomorrow..I have lots of cultures....I can see how one can start a business in kombucha 'mushrooms'...

Tarlach is offline Member

$7 plus instructions is probably a cheap way to give it a go:

http://trendsupdates.com/u-fizz-make...rinksdesserts/

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Thanks Ginger. I'll keep an eye out for them when I go to the Co-Op. Mostly I'm looking at cheapness right now. I'm starting a project where I live on $20 a week for all food and non-food purchases.

I'd be willing to give kombucha a shot. Gotta get me a scoby and some starter though. I have tons of gallon jars left from my dandelion wine project (due to start again come spring.)

I hear it's lower carb when made with fruit juice, but then again that makes the cost go up. Could I just juice a piece of fruit instead of buying fruit juice? Or I could just let it ferment until essentially all the sugars are gone, which will make for quite a sour kombucha. Could add stevia to take the edge off, right?

Oh, so much to learn!

LOL Tarlach, I stumbled across that too.

Osa007 Guest

No fruit juice during fermentation - kills it. Add it after, if you want the flavor. I bought my first 'mushroom' - but, apparently from a store bought jar you too could start your own...worth a try. There are directions on the internet....basically largish bowl to increase surface to air contact & good room temp., etc.

Kombucha will be a couple bags black tea, half to less of sugar, a cup or less of starter kombucha (store bought is fine, if need be, which it shouldn't) and some water. You steep tea/sugar/water until cool, then add starter with 'mushroom'. It is very cheap, yummy, and nutritious. Longer it ferments more acidic...when you lift the mushroom out you can add fruit juice which can make it fizzier...

I've made some wonderful batches & have been lazy..have two jars of a little starter & lots & lots of 'mushrooms'...kombucha is forgiving...it'll just grow, gestate, etc. if you get lazy.....lasts a long time...

syzchan is offline Member

What about club soda with a splash of juice? I used to drink that all the time as a fun, non-caffeinated low-calorie option when out.

FairyRae2 Guest

PrimalCon New York

I currently make juice kefir using milk kefir grains. (I've used water grains in the past and found them tempermental--the milk grains are much hardier IMO.) W/ the milk grains, I just rinsed off the milk for my first use, and have been using them for 6 months, without ever putting them back into milk. (I think they are about to peter out now, as they haven't been in milk for so long--but I will just get some more from a friend who has lots...)

Putting them into apple juice, grape juice, and pomegranate juice has all led to a delicious, fizzy treat. And it is sooooo easy. All I do is drop the grains in juice, leave them in for 12-24 hours (until I like the taste/amount of fizz) and then strain and drink. I store the grains in the fridge in a little jar of juice when I'm not using them. Ds LOVES grape juice kefir (I bet it's got the highest carbs/sugars though b/c it retains a lot of the sweetness even after fermentation). If I leave the grains in too long, or don't finish the juice kefir stored in the fridge after a few days, it totally tastes alcoholic, so you kind of have to watch for that. It totally works w/ fresh pressed juice, and is absolutely my easiest ferment!

I'd second the recipes in Nourishing Traditions. You might also want to check Wild Fermentation. http://www.wildfermentation.com/

Here's a link on how to make homemade lacto-fermented soda from the WAPF site: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/Realthing.html

And here's the fermented lemonade punch recipe from Nourishing Traditions:

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/05/fermented-lemonade-punch-from.html

HTH!

EDIT: When making the juice kefir, I keep it in a plastic bottle, so that the pressure (which builds quickly) won't leave me w/ shattered glass all over my kitchen. I like to keep the top tightly sealed to get a really fizzy result. (If it's not sealed tightly, there will not be a fizzy result.) I release the air when I notice the sides of the bottle buldging. (This is important--one time I let it ferment and ferment w/out releasing any air for maybe 16 hours--the pressure blew a hole through the bottom of the plastic bottle, the juice kefir was all over my ceiling and walls--it was crazy!! So I really watch it now...