Thread: Cholesterol test - What does it actually mean?? page

AAMonty is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol test - What does it actually mean??

Hello everyone,

My local supermarket is running a free cholesterol test programme. My boyfriend and I have been primal since February and everyone is always asking us about cholesterol. So, off we went to the store to have it tested. Bare in mind we are in the UK so I think they record the results slightly differently than in the US. Also, the woman running the test told me that total cholesterol is 'bad cholesterol' and the leaflet she gave me had some info on LDL and made clear that the test 'doesn't measure LDL cholesterol'. Neither of us is over weight or in an at risk group for heart disease.

Me:
    Total Cholesterol - 6.1
    HDL - 2.29
    Ratio - 4.5

Boyfriend
    Total Cholesterol 6.47
    HDL - 1.13
    Ratio - 5.7

Even though my ratio was fine they still recommended that I buy Flora margarine, yoghurt drinks and cooking sprays with 'plant sterols' to lower my total 'bad' cholesterol. My boyfriend and I eat pretty much the same diet, except I eat a lot more oily fish - I'm addicted to wild Alaskan smoked salmon.

Are tests that measure HDL and total cholesterol useful in any way? If my boyfriend eats more oily fish and lays off the beer, will his ratio improve?

Cheers!
    Aleisha

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Where to start? First, finger-stick cholesterol tests are worthless. You have to collect them exactly right, not squeeze the finger, etc. and it just doesn't work out that way. Second, cholesterol levels in women or in men without additional risk factors don't mean much in terms of health. Third, the advice you were given was abysmal. Eating better might or might not change these cholesterol numbers; they are a very crude way of measuring cholesterol. There are other, better, tests, but at the end of the day if you are not in the risk group, what's the point?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

AAMonty is offline Junior Member
    Thank you! I knew that really, but needed some positive reinforcement. I might look into a VAP test just for fun. I almost feel like I have to prove to people that a Primal diet isn't going to increase risk factors for heart disease. I'm questioned about it every time someone asks me how I lost weight....

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I haven't researched the cholesterol thing to death because what I know is that there is nothing more deadly than me bring fat. So right now, in my life, cholesterol issues don't even matter. And, I am female. So that puts even more risk on the being fat and even less risk on the cholesterol.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I haven't researched the cholesterol thing to death because what I know is that there is nothing more deadly than me bring fat. So right now, in my life, cholesterol issues don't even matter. And, I am female. So that puts even more risk on the being fat and even less risk on the cholesterol.
    Thank you for this: it is a good reminder of where I need to put my own focus.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.