Thread: Try my Personal Trainer Assessment Exam page

Kyle C. is offline Member

Try my Personal Trainer Assessment Exam

I just got my CSCS and I decided to write blog entry for my website about how to choose a personal trainer. I'm sure MDA folks don't need much help with that, but you may be interested in the exam I made up for people to test their potential trainer's knowledge.

It's a 30 question PDF (with answer key) based on NSCA standards. Passing score is a 21 out of 30 (70%). I tried to keep the questions to the practical stuff and didn't delve too deeply into the heavy scientific side.

Give the test a shot yourself if you're feeling spry, and post your results. I'm curious to see how people fare. It's probably got a few design flaws but I feel it's a decent assessment of a range of topics all trainers need to have a grasp of.

Direct link to PDF: http://www.powercurvefitness.com/per...sment_exam.pdf
    Link to blog post: Power Curve Fitness - Personal Training

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    You lost me at question 2 - I would have rather had an option 5 (you tell that client that "toning" is a combination of bodyfat levels and muscle development but what they really need to do is adjust their diet rather than do 30 mins of cardio).

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Tried it earlier today ... got 16 answers right. Not too bad with zero preparation - and I guess that there were some (not many though) questions where I think that the answer they want to hear is wrong (conventional wisdom).

Kyle C. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    You lost me at question 2 - I would have rather had an option 5 (you tell that client that "toning" is a combination of bodyfat levels and muscle development but what they really need to do is adjust their diet rather than do 30 mins of cardio).
    I know that wasn't an ideal answer. I tried to make it like the NSCA stuff where the perfect answer isn't always there, but I usually phrased it as "MOST appropriate" or something like that. Meaning, best of the available options. I would not have a client do 30 minutes of running either, but this isn't a test on how to train primal or how to train the way I train. It's just about recognizing the underlying principles. In that question, it was obvious that the arm workouts made no sense for that goal, so if you understand that fat is burned through conditioning (I was even nice enough to use the word "cardio" since most folks prefer that term) then you know the only answer that makes sense is the 30 mins of aerobic endurance.

Personally, I'd much rather a shorter, more intense anaerobic session, but I didn't want this to be a "do you train exactly like Kyle" test, but instead a test that could be given to most trainers in most gyms.

And again, the material was all gleaned from and checked against the NSCA standards, which are a more unbiased measure of fitness knowledge than my admittedly marginal opinion, which leans primal and functional.
    Last edited by Kyle C.; 06-20-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    Primal Personal Trainer
    NSCA-CSCS
    http://www.powercurvefitness.com

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C. View Post
    I know that wasn't an ideal answer. I tried to make it like the NSCA stuff where the perfect answer isn't always there, but I usually phrased it as "MOST appropriate" or something like that. Meaning, best of the available options. I would not have a client do 30 minutes of running either, but this isn't a test on how to train primal or how to train the way I train. It's just about recognizing the underlying principles. In that question, it was obvious that the arm workouts made no sense for that goal, so if you understand that fat is burned through conditioning (I was even nice enough to use the word "cardio" since most folks prefer that term) then you know the only answer that makes sense is the 30 mins of aerobic endurance.

Personally, I'd much rather a shorter, more intense anaerobic session, but I didn't want this to be a "do you train exactly like Kyle" test, but instead a test that could be given to most trainers in most gyms.

And again, the material was all gleaned from and checked against the NSCA standards, which are a more unbiased measure of fitness knowledge than my admittedly marginal opinion, which leans primal and functional.
    Hey Kyle, I wasn't trying to be negative about your test so sorry if it came across that way - I know how tough it can be to keep within PT standards.