Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having fun w/FitDay page

Osa007 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hola - so, this is somewhat of an intro for me - most of you've noticed I'm sure I'm 'new' here. A few years ago I discovered Westonaprice.org while researching the so-called 'french paradox'...at any rate..can't remember how I surfed here, but here I am. I started using Fitday as I rec. of someone here & I'm having fun with it. First, I must say that I was in a quandry - my jeans were getting snug..too snug, so either buy more or lose weight - decided to lose weight & used fitday to see how I needed to shave off around 200 calories a day plus being very strict with carbs - less than two weeks & I've lost 10 pounds.

Today though I had fun with FitDay & plugged in the stats for your average american...had evil fun making them eat 'healthy'...anyway, they had cereal & non-fat milk with a banana - low fat, get your fruit, you know. Then a turkey sandwich (don't want red meat, now) with a bag of chips & coke. Oh, they had a mocha latte this morning, then they had spaghetti with meatless sauce, salad with low fat dressing & french bread!

First - their carbs were almost at 400! Fat at a measely 55 and protein at 72. The breakdown was pathetic - %67 carbs, %20 fat, %14 protein! I had this person be a woman of about 5/7 & 160 lbs. Now mildly active we're looking at maintenance @ 1900 calories...this gal's calories were 2,227. Not good for her.

What intrigued me was that aside from D & E - this person's nutrients were met easily - I know cereal is fortified & milk..but, still a little stumped...how could A be as high as it was shown? There was no liver, of course or beta-carotene veggies...? I have wondered about the accuracy of Fitday's vitamin calculation...?

Anyway...I can't be the only one! I certainly got a good deal of evil glee..!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

A lot of packaged food is fortified with nutrients, especially cereals...But the amount that we absorb, or how we absorb it, is what's really important...

Gah, I tried to explain to my father today about how many carbs he's having, and he doesn't even realize it...I got him to eat a steak with me once a week, and he's buying more meat, but he thinks that this whole caveman diet is another one of my "phases" and that I can only eat this way "because I'm young." I swear, he never fails to be a pain in the ass...

I'll be finishing up my project on FAT later this week for a bio course...I hit upon "the lipid hypothesis", and will be writing a little more on ketosis and insulin...My professor is very anti-ketosis and anti-saturated fat (undoubtedly)..I hope she's open-minded enough to see both sides of the issue!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

hee hee, that's hillarious!

As for the vitamin count, I too am stumped!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

bobbylight Guest

"My professor is very anti-ketosis and anti-saturated fat (undoubtedly)..I hope she's open-minded enough to see both sides of the issue! "

lol, I wouldn't be so quick to bring your primal eating habits into your schooling. I am a religious studies major and I have one class about Paul and Christian origins, and for our final we have to take quotes of his and explain them. I am just going to regurgitate what my prof said, even though I don't really believe it, because I know that is what he is looking for. Sometimes it just isn't worth it to speak your mind when you could be penalized for it. Then again, if you back it up with studies it could go either way. Good luck though!

bobbylight Guest

As for the vitamins, I guess that makes sense. When I am eating low carb my vitamin d (which I am going to start supplementing anyway, so that doesn't mean much), calcium, magnesium, and potassium are always low. I am going to start putting lite salt on all my food because it has a lot of potassium in it and doesn't have as much sodium...it is a win/win. Also I am going to start supplementing 400 mg's of magnesium a day, along with possibly eating a couple tums and for calcium. I think that will cover all my bases.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

@bobbylight, I figure if I do the work and I'm genuinely interested in the topic at hand, I can't really go wrong...Plus, I'm providing a research paper on the subject (for those who don't want the extra credit, (read: NEED), it's just a powerpoint slide we present to the class.) She can't give me a bad grade, I'd freaking hound her and she KNOWS it!

Also, the thing about the vitamin absorption is the idea that grains are like those "antinutrients" and suck out calcium and so on...Which is why primal eaters don't have to be so concerned with getting the "daily dose"...I still take my calcium supplement for assurance anyhow..Not a big dairy fan, although cheese is growing on me. In eggs and salad, CAN'T go wrong.

My potassium is always low. Not many multis provide it. I am just going along with it...I'm sort of over bananas..

nina_70 Guest

I usually have fun with the cholesterol number. I'm always way over the "alloted" amount (today I was at 133% of daily value). I had friends over visiting for the week-end and they were horrified at how many eggs I was eating....hehe

Osa007 Guest

Go, Jess! Excited for you and your work! Fingers crossed it won't backfire - I'm sure it won't even if your Prof. won't like it. I'm sure quality work won't go unrecognized as long as you make a good case.

My Fitday RDA is usually good at or above - aside from D...which I do get sun & will start a supplement. If C is low, I squeeze lemon juice in my water - viola! Although I added Halibut to my stats & D didn't move? I thought Halibut had D...then sometimes it registers some vit. that I can't figure how..that's why I was wondering..? But, I think all the fortifying of the carbs & milk is what produced 'results' even though they will not likely be used by the body.

Yes, I was snorting & snickering as I entered their 'healthy' meals - like Fiber One w/non-fat milk & a banana - classic!

Osa007 Guest

I didn't notice a cholesterol number? More fun!

Osa007 Guest

By the way, I do remember how I 'surfed' here - was reading some ridiculous article referring to the book 'eating animals' and got so discombobulated that I thought 'there have to be sane folks out there' and looked and lo & behold...anyway...just flashed on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast