Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kidney stones since going primal....ouch! page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Kidney stones since going primal....ouch!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello all;

Warning - TMI alert! I had posted about not feeling well the last few days. I think I may know why. Yesterday I started urinating lots of blood and had some pain in my back. Today the blood got worse and the pain got lots worse. I went to the ER and they said I had a kidney stone!

I love primal eating and have had dramatic improvement in my arthritis eating this way. I keep reading though that I should be on a low protein/low sodium diet to prevent re-current. A few weeks ago i had lots of crystals in my urine and today there were tons of crystals, blood, and white blood cells. I don't eat low carb and doubt my protein intake is that high on primal, but probably higher than when I ate SAD.

I have also read there is a small associate between Vit D supplementation and stones....but the data is not very convincing.

Any experts on kidney stones around here? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little discouraged....all this effort to be healthy and I still keep hitting road blocks. It seems so effortless for so many people.....

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The Boyfriend gets the calcium ones (the majority of stones) from oxalates. I know tea is on the list of things to avoid, but I can't remember all of the others, but I know there's even a list of oxalates on Wikipedia.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    From Wikipedia (which doesn't agree with The Boyfriend on the whole "tea" thing):

Specific therapy should be tailored to the type of stones involved. Dietary intake can have a profound influence on the development of kidney stones. Preventive strategies may include dietary modifications and medication with the goal of reducing the excretory load on the kidneys.

A key principle for the prevention of kidney stones is to increase urine volume. The relative probability of kidney stone formation decreases as urinary volume increases. Because of this, maintenance of dilute urine by means of vigorous fluid therapy is beneficial in all forms of nephrolithiasis. Fluid intake should be sufficient to maintain a urine output of 2 to 3 litres (68 to 100 US fl oz) per day. A high fluid intake has been associated with a 40% reduction in recurrence risk.

Available data suggest that the type of fluid ingested is important. For example, orange juice may help prevent calcium oxalate stone formation, blackcurrant juice may help prevent uric acid stones, and cranberry juice may help with struvite stones. Lemons have the highest concentration of citrate of any citrus fruit, and daily consumption of lemonade has been shown to decrease the rate of stone formation. Beer appears to decrease the rate of stone formation, while grapefruit juice appears to increase the risk. One study indicated that intake of caffeinated beverages increases risk of kidney stones. While it may be advised to avoid caffeinated cola beverages because of their high phosphate content, this does not include coffee or tea. In fact, prospective cohort studies of coffee and tea actually indicate that they may prevent kidney stones. Though caffeine does acutely increase urinary calcium excretion, several independent epidemiologic studies have shown that coffee intake overall is protective against the formation of stones.

Calcium binds with available oxalate in the gastrointestinal tract, thereby preventing its absorption into the bloodstream. A randomized controlled trial published in 2002 assigned men with hypercalciuria to follow either a diet containing a normal amount of calcium (30 mmol per day) but with restricted intake of animal protein and salt, or a low-calcium (10 mmol per day) diet. At 5 years, the group on the normal calcium, low animal protein and low salt diet had a 51% lower rate of stone recurrence than those following a low-calcium diet. Some nephrologists and urologists recommend chewing calcium tablets during meals containing oxalate foods. Calcium citrate supplements can be taken with meals if dietary calcium cannot be increased by other means. The preferred calcium supplement for people at risk of stone formation is calcium citrate because it helps to increase urinary citrate excretion.

Aside from vigorous oral hydration and consumption of more dietary calcium, other prevention strategies include avoidance of large doses of supplental vitamin C and restriction of oxalate-rich foods such as leaf vegetables, rhubarb, soy products and chocolate. However, no randomized controlled trial of oxalate restriction has yet been performed to test the hypothesis that oxalate restriction reduces the incidence of stone formation. There is some evidence that magnesium intake decreases the risk of symptomatic nephrolithiasis
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    RitaRose posted this link on another thread, written by Robb Wolf:
    Clearing up Kidney Confusion: Part Deux

Sue
    Don't you need to find out the type of stone so you can design treatment around that? Do you know what type of stone you have?

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis can give kidney stones (among numerous other problems). Grok wasn't in ketosis and neither is any other healthy population.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Watch out for oxalates in veggies and greens! Especially spinach, beets, chard, and rhubarb. Chocolate is sky-high. Tea is high, but coffee is not. I've read about people getting kidney stones within two years of starting a big "health" push which involved having a big spinach salad every day.

There's a very good group on Yahoo, "Trying Low Oxalates" Heartily recommended.

Trying_Low_Oxalates : Trying Low Oxalates

Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    Ketosis can give kidney stones (among numerous other problems). Grok wasn't in ketosis and neither is any other healthy population.
    No that's not correct.

As per Robb Wolf on the link above:
    "The course of action involved a low protein (10-15% protein) low carb ( less than 10%) high fat (mainly from coconut products), ketogenic diet. Pete’s doctor was horrified, but we petitioned for one month of “tinkering” to see how things went. Three weeks later Pete’s GFR was 80% of normal instead of the previous 10% and his BUN was within normal ranges. His doctor was interested…but baffled. Pete has subsequently titrated up his protein intake with no ill effects on kidney function."

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    A ketone is acidic, the body's compensatory systems will fix the acid overload from ketosis short-term. Long term, it will be detrimental. Alkaline minerals from vegetables (important ones) sources will end up being used to neutralize the acid instead of other functions. It took the Inuits, 40 years of ketosis to develop osteoporosis and this is well documented. Eating protein yields net acid load because the protein source contains acidic minerals such as phosphates.

Rob says fructose causes kidney damage. Fructose is in fruits and since fruits were abundant during Grok's time (you can bet he ate everything), they must've had high kidney failure rate.

Grok did not have a problem with ph balance because he was eating tons of saturated fatty meats and fruits (high sugar) at the same time and burned it all off in a single days work.
    Last edited by mwok86; 06-19-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Sue
    Primal BluePrint isn't low carb to the extent that you usually end up in ketosis.
    How do you know fruit was abundant during Grok's time?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast