Thread: Almond Butter Pancakes page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Almond Butter Pancakes

Primal Fuel
    I decided to try almond butter pancakes as I have not been a fan of the coconut or almond flour ones so far. Most of the recipes I found all included banana, which I am not a fan of. Here is what I came up with and it was super easy and now my favorite!

Grain free Almond Butter Pancakes

(makes approx 1 small serving)
    -1 egg
    -1 tablespoon butter/coconut oil melted
    -1 tablespoon Almond Butter (unsweetened)
    -dash of cinnamon
    -dash of vanilla
    -1 tsp apple butter or applesauce (optional)

Beat egg in melted butter/oil, combine remaining ingredients until smooth (may take a bit of blending to get almond butter to incorporate). If the batter is too runny, add a bit more almond butter.

Pour on pre-heated non stick griddle (medium to med high heat...if pancakes spread too thin, you need to turn heat up). Make smaller size pancakes in order to make flipping easier.

When pancake just starts to have small bubbles all the way to center, gently work spatula around all edges, flip and cook for about one minute more.

Top with butter or your favorite pancake topping (berries, bananas, nuts, honey, maple syrup)

_____

These will be thinner then traditional pancakes, but if you get the mixture and heat on your pan right they will puff up just enough. You could add a leavening agent like baking powder to get more lift (about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per egg). As an alternative, you could whip the egg whites on the side and fold those in just before cooking and that will add more lift as well.

These pancakes are sweet enough that all I need to do is top with butter and enjoy.

Here is my daily vlog where i cooked 'em up in case you want to see what they look like.

Enjoy!!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Those sound really good!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the coconut flour and almond meal pancakes are either a) too absorbent (coconut flour) or b) too gritty (almond meal) and heavy.

Pancakes are part of our 20%. Because I have Hashimoto's, I still make them gluten-free, but I really like the sourdough buckwheat pancake recipe Chris Kresser posted last week. I made them this Saturday and they are the closest I've come to "real" pancakes. They didn't suck up all the syrup, the tops got that nice crispy, almost donut-like texture, and the interior was tender, albeit a bit spongy (but in a good way). They are not exactly low carb, but the moment you douse a pancake in syrup you're surrendering all illusions of low carb anyway.

I wouldn't eat them every day, and the advance soaking and fermenting means you need to plan in advance, but they are superb as an occasional treat.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't in the mood for meat last night so I made these for dinner. Gluten Free Pancakes Recipe Revisited | Elana's Pantry I omitted the agave nectar and added a bit of water and cinnamon and topped with chopped frozen (thawed) strawberries and cooked them in butter. (OMG YUM) I didn't find them to be gritty at all, but it may have to do with which brand of almond meal you use. I buy mine from Nutsonline or Honeyville.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I'll definitely be trying these tomorrow for breakfast. They look really good.