Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bread substitute, no grains, delicious! page

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Actually, IMO, even better than bread. Many of you may not have a low carb background, and have never heard of "oopsie!" rolls. They're seriously good. I just made them, and had the ultimate comfort food: a meatloaf sandwich.

I made the meatloaf by putting several different pieces of leftover meat (pork loin chops, roast beef, a few pieces of bacon and sausage, several fat chunks from rendering pork leaf lard) through my Mixmaster meat grinder. I added finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, and ground garlic and 4 eggs, mixed with a pound of raw ground beef, and made several patties for the freezer, then put the rest into a loaf pan, baking at 350F for an hour or so, covered with tin foil.

The oopsie! rolls recipe is here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_pu...blog_id=991219, which I made minus the Splenda (why add that? yuck). They're great. Mine always come out a little flat, but one on the bottom, with meatloaf in the middle, mayo and mustard, a roll on the top, and it's the ultimate comfort food. Would be great with leftover turkey. Really yummy!

Catalina is offline Member

Thanks for posting this. . .I'm going to give it a try!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

they always sound so interesting but seem like a pain in the butt to make... is it not really as complex as it sounds?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

FNW - I've made these and used some of the variations as well. It works well for burgers and sandwiches. It isn't complex but can (atleast in my kitchen) be messy and time-consuming.

Of course, there is almost no meal which isn't messy in my kitchen. Time-consuming is relative to "Omg, I'm hungry now!" vs. "Hmmm...think I'll make those handy oopsie rolls to have around for the former."

Regardless I do like them.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I printed off the recipe but have never made them. They seem like little omelets. ??? I dunno. What is the texture like?

JulieD Guest

I used to try to make them in my early low carb days, but I never liked them. The texture was always too eggy for me, even with the different variations in recipes. Some people swear by them though.

nina_70 Guest

Interesting recipe for the Oopsie rolls. I might try it.

Another idea for those interested. I recently had a hankering for bread and made these coconut-cheese scones (without the splenda):

http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/20...ree-grain.html

They were actually quite good and the texture was very comparable to bread. I also liked the fact that I could use them like a bun (even make a sandwich out of them).

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

@Nina, would you say the ground almonds are an integral ingredient for the scones? I'm allergic and would have to leave them out. These scones look so yummy!!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

nina_70 Guest

@MariaNYC - can't say for sure. It might work if you substitute the 1/2 cup almond with another 1/2 cup coconut flour, but not sure. I did think, when I was eating the scones that a little extra coconut flavor would be nice. Let me know if you try it!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

These rolls are very easy to make, and only take about five minutes from beginning to end. Yes, they do taste a little eggy, but I like that flavor so to me it's a bonus. They get a little crispy on the edges, and are soft in the middle, rather airy and light.

Next time I make them, I'm going to try folding in a little water chestnut flour to see if it gives the rolls a little more substance. I picked up this flour the other day and used it to thicken the turkey gravy on T-day and it worked really well. It has 7 grams of carbs in a one-ounce serving. I think one ounce would be enough spread out over six rolls, and would add negligible carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast