Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: success with "good" carbs? page

mcpheenom is offline Junior Member

success with "good" carbs?

Has anyone on here had anywhere near the dramatic success stories I read on here while incorporating real food carbs (potatoes, beans, wild rice, etc.) into their primal diet?

When I first tried primal paleo style dieting I had dramatic success for a couple of months while going low carb as most people do but I was not able to sustain it. I eventually had wild cravings and would binge on junk food for sugar in the middle of the night which is something I never do...

Eventually I stopped and reintroduced carbs back into my diet which helped level me back out but I fell off the exercise/healthy mindset wagon in the process.

Now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things but with a slightly different approach. Rather than low carb I'm going low refined carbs. I'm going to eat only real foods but not worry about the ratio of carbs to protein and fat for the most part. I still feel everythign will be primal in the sense that the main portion of my meal will be my meat and everything I will be eating will be real food which has been around since the dawn of man I am just not going to actively avoid carbs in the form of potatoes, beans, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone has taken a similar approach and found it nearly as successful because it seems the whole low carb thing is what really zaps the fat off the body in a hurry.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I do just fine with white rice and potatoes.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have added in good carbs such as red potatoes, sweet potatoes and even some fruit.

Is white rice considered primally acceptable, and if so, why not brown rice? I enjoy rice, and if it's ok to eat, then it would be easy for me to add it in from time to time.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    white rice is good for the glucose hit, as the hyperinsulemia produced when eaten with protein would be to your advantage post workout...i wouldnt eat it as an everyday thing, but good after long cardio or heavy lifting

In my personal opinion I think that most of the organic/wild rices out there would qualify as "primal" in the literal sense (same with corn and beans) but I'm dont know if Mark sees it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    white rice is good for the glucose hit, as the hyperinsulemia produced when eaten with protein would be to your advantage post workout...i wouldnt eat it as an everyday thing, but good after long cardio or heavy lifting
    I can see that. Then I guess as a grain, white rice must not have the bad stuff that other grains have.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Is white rice considered primally acceptable, and if so, why not brown rice?
    Most of the nutrients in rice are contained in the bran, but the bran also has phytates which bind to those nutrients and make them unabsorbable. So there's not much point to eating brown rice. White rice is basically pure starch and so neither bad nor particularly good.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I can see that. Then I guess as a grain, white rice must not have the bad stuff that other grains have.
    White rice doesn't have the bran that brown rice has, and I think that's the part that is the problem.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Thanks for the info on rice. I enjoy potatoes, but it would be nice to have a change now and then.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know much about white rice but I agree that it isn't something I would eat all the time if you're trying to follow a primal plan. It's still refined and very easily digested so it spikes your blood sugar and all that stuff that refined grains do. Plus I would imagine if it's not organic white rice that there is some sort of chemical process going on to make it white (I think they call it polishing)....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast