Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning Handstand Pushup page

Drifter is offline Member

Learning Handstand Pushup

Primal Fuel
    When you did this/started to learn this did you do this with your back facing the wall (heels on wall) or facing the wall (toes on the wall)?

Just starting these off and didn't trust myself to do back to the wall haha.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Back to the wall. I had a devil of a time learning how to just get into position, but one day it just happened. What do you mistrust about doing it with your back to the wall?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Back to the wall.

It's all about trust, isn't it!

Took me some positive self-talk before I was brave enough. Funny that I used to do them all the time when I was a little kid, too...

For me, it is "safer" to fall in this position. 50 sec handstand so far!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Just stick a cushion under your head to begin with. Alternatively, many people use a stack of books that gradually decreases in size as they get stronger.

Drifter is offline Member
    I think the trust is just about whipping out haha. I don't have a great space to do it in, so if i fall left or right during the flip part I am afraid of taking something out. I will have to give it a shot and see what happens.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Just stick a cushion under your head to begin with. Alternatively, many people use a stack of books that gradually decreases in size as they get stronger.
    Cool idea! Thanks for that. Sounds like a great way to keep track of your progress!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    It takes lots of practice. Check out my article about handstand push-ups.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Front to the wall until I had enough shoulder and core strength to stay up for a while. Then back to the wall. And yes, it's getting into position that's the hardest part.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    There is a great photo in this month's National Geographic of a young guy balancing horizontally on one hand in front of a waterfall in Japan.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Stomach to the wall helps build strength perhaps more than back to the wall as your weight is more directly lined up. Back to the wall there's the possibility of arching.

Getting into position with stomach to the wall IMO is scarier because if you put your hands too close to the wall you run the risk of falling forward and breaking your shit, ALL your shit. The video below shows what I mean. I would not advise putting your hands as close to the wall as he does, you don't need to unless you're looking to free-balance. Have an exit strategy ready! (front roll or side roll) if you are brand new to getting inverted I would kick up with back to the wall... because the fall is way less dangerous or dramatic. You also don't need the swedish bars that are shown in the video, just walk up against the wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast