Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas on carbing up page

fotakou is offline Junior Member

After thinking about it for awhile,it seems to me that its a little bit impossible to go primal cold turkey. I will always go back to grains and sugars

As such I decided to have two carb up days during the week,one in Wednesday and one when I go out in the weekend.My question is if you guys have any experience on it and if you can suggest some foods for carbing up.My primary idea is to go for yams but I dont know for sure...

Open to any suggestion!

JamieBelle is offline Member

I would recommend staying away from grains if you can, though some people tolerate small amounts of rice better than other grains. Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes might be a good bet.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Why do you think it's impossible to "go primal cold turkey"? If you have weight to lose, cutting out simple carbs like grains and sugars is the best way to go. When you stick to it for a while, non-primal "foods" simply seem like non-foods after a time. If you were trying to kick heroin, would you think that shooting up twice a week would be a good idea?

bazt Guest

nina_70 Guest

My take on it...If you're having trouble w/ the switch try looking-up some of the "almost primal" recipe's on Mark's blog and the forum. There's lots of alternatives for bread and deserts such as the Primal coconut pancake, or Chocolate coconut bark (great for chocolate cravings). I even made some Primal scones a few weks back because I had a hankering for scones.

See this link:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-substitute/

I do think that the more you can stay away from the grains & real sugars the better...at least, for me, there's a "trigger" effect that just makes me want more. But, I did have a tough time in the beginning (more psychological than anything I think) and the primal alternative recipe's really helped me.

fotakou is offline Junior Member

Well I can understand what you mean guys,but the main problem is that without some carbs I feel really worn out after 3 days of capoeira and extra training. I feel really tired when I wake up and believe it or not carbs make me feel better and I dont mean the insulin spike.

Some times I can eat some nasty carbs(sugar and bread although extreme examples) and if I can restrain myself from having much more,I will feel them WORKING! I feel better after some time when I have consumed them....This is why I want to find some healthier alternatives to carb heavy sources...Yams and sweet potatoes are a nice idea but I will not eat more than 1 and i think its a pity to turn on the oven at 200 degrees C for one medium yam :S

bobbylight Guest

It is likely you are insulin sensitive and do not do well on a low carb diet. To be honest you would probably feel better if you were eating 150+ carbs a day, which I realize is not advocated by mark, but not everyone reacts to carbs similarly. Sweet potatoes are good to eat for carbs. If you are worried about making one at a time, make a bunch of them and stick them in the fridge. I have done this and they taste fine for days. Also, to be honest, if you are active and need carbs for functioning, some rice would probably not be a bad idea to include in your daily diet. Instead of looking to carb up on certain days, you should probably just add carbs to your diet every day. You can still eat primal and eat higher carb, but I would be willing to bet you will feel much better if you are eating around 200 grams of carbs a day. And, in my opinion, rice and grains aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be on this board...I will probably get e-yelled at for saying that.

Or, you could simply slow down and work on any cardio addictions. Bobbylight, have you read _Good Calories, Bad Calories_? If so, how can you continually advocate the 150+ carbs you constantly insert into every thread?

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

A half yam with butter. Yum! That's my favorite if I feel I need carbing up. Or I'll eat a banana with nut butter if I don't have time to bake a yam.

But I think going Primal cold turkey is much easier. Once your body adjusts to burning fat instead of glycogen, you'll feel fine. Really, you will. HOWEVER, you may need to give yourself an easy week or two, so you can get through that transition period without feeling the need to add a ton of carbs.

No, Bobby hasn't read Good Calories Bad Calories, despite several people here recommending it to him.

Bobby, if you advocate a diet higher than 150 grams of carbs per day, and you don't think grains are deleterious to health, why are you here?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

"Bobby, if you advocate a diet higher than 150 grams of carbs per day, and you don't think grains are deleterious to health, why are you here?"

Thank you!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast