Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish are not Primal but.... page

Amish are not Primal but....

Primal Fuel
    Would they not be a great case study for at least eliminating processed foods and eating animal fat? They obviously eat wheat and sugar, but they totally shun processed, packaged foods I would assume. They make real butter and drink raw milk and eat eggs and pigs and cows and goats and ducks etc. They also remain active in ways similar to PB, minus sprinting probably. They play. They exercise their minds. They get their sleep. They are ALMOST Primal.

So.....What is the life expectancy for an Amish person? Do they have high cholesterol? Do they have high rates of heart disease? How is the their quality of life in later years? I would be fascinated to see some data on this. I also know they deal with some diseases that don't affect other populations, due to their somewhat limited gene pool. Cooperation may be hard to come by as far as participation in medical studies, and I doubt too many are members of this forum, so we may never know.

karatepig is offline Member
    I would think that getting enough Amish people to participate in any sort of a study might be a little difficult,as that would entail interacting with the modern world and its' ways more than is strictly necessary. If you could though, I would bet that they would show overall superior health, with a lower instance of diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    My mom is from Lancaster, Pa, and I have seen Amish driving a horse and buggy with a soda pop in hand. I imagine they eat better than the majority, but their diets may not be as idyllic as you think.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

ktgrok is offline Member
    The Amish eats a LOT of processed foods these days.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I visited an Amish market in the past year and there was almost nothing I was willing to buy. Processed stuff, lots of bad oils and other questionable ingredients.

Also, as based on what the local Amish sell at the farmers' market (heavy on baked goods and noodles), they eat a crap load of wheat and sugar. But I'm sure at home they have a lot of fresh farm food.

ThomasP is offline Junior Member
    I live in the middle of Amish country. They eat a LOT of grains and sugars. Their meats and cheeses etc. are great but their overall diet is a lot of starches and grains.

kimann79 is offline Member
    My milkman is Amish and when we visited the farm there was A LOT of processed food in their kitchen.

Sorry to say but the Amish eat a lot of sugar, bad fats, and processed items these days. A lot of their food is super heavy in sugar and refined carbs. I have a cookbook written by an author and an old order Amish lady and some of it is fabulous old school cooking and some is just blech!

You would be better off studying a population of a eco-village or commune/intentional community that produces most of their own food. However you would find many of them are vegan or vegetarian.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I also own a couple Pennsylvania Deutsch cookbooks. Tons of sugar and flour in there...and fat. At least they're getting 1/3rd of it right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast