Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does 50 grams of protein look like? page

FairyRae is offline Senior Member

What does 50 grams of protein look like?

Primal Fuel
    I know, I know, another thread on leptin resistance?! Sorry--just so interested and thought I'd get more specific responses this way...

Anyway, I'm wondering what 50 grams of protein looks like in various forms. How much ground beef, or salmon, or chicken breast etc would make 50 grams of protein? Those of you following the Mastering Leptin protocol of 50 g protein upon waking, what are you eating? Just looking for ideas from you folk and thought others might be interested as well. (I have an egg intolerance, so I'd personally love to see some egg-free ideas too!)

Thanks all!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Tried to find a good pic, but 50g is 1.76 ounces (about 1/10 pound). Figure your standard quarter pounder hamburger is 1/4 lb or 4 oz (a little more than double what you're supposed to eat), so maybe that helps to visualize it.

I have a food scale at home, but I only bought it for some european recipes based on weight instead of volume. Oh, and for weighing yarn, too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I had prawns for breakfast - 50g's of protein was 242 grams, or 8.54 ounces. That's a lot of shrimp lol

Oh, crap, I'm thinking 50g of protein-ish FOOD, not PROTEIN!

Never mind!

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Rita Rose doesn't have it quite right. You have to account for water, fat, and other content.

For example, the 1/4 lb McDonald's patty is the pre-cooked weight. 1/2 lb of raw 93% lean ground beef contains almost 50 grams of protein. 93% is very lean and most likely leaner than the average McDonald's raw patty.

Just go on Fit Day and try out some things. I personally like to have 1/2 lbs of burgers for brekkie.

For some reason, also, my 1/4 lbs. burger patties seem humongous compared to McDonald's. Dunno why.

You can see an example of 95% lean beef here:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodVi...=s-sr19-f23557

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    50 grams of protein looks like THIS . . . assuming that that is at least 6oz anyway.

Thanks folks. This will be helpful to me so pasting it here: Protein - High-Protein Foods and Amount of Protein in Each Food

My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Quote Originally Posted by Marnee View Post
    Rita Rose doesn't have it quite right. You have to account for water, fat, and other content.
    Yeah, I know. It was one of those "Duh" moments for me...

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Thanks folks. This will be helpful to me so pasting it here: Protein - High-Protein Foods and Amount of Protein in Each Food

That's helpfuL. I like the idea of a chicken breast, cottage cheese and nuts and seeds as a meal. Probably good to have a few different meals adding to 50g for variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    That's helpfuL. I like the idea of a chicken breast, cottage cheese and nuts and seeds as a meal. Probably good to have a few different meals adding to 50g for variety.
    Exactly. This is what I'm interested in doing. Like, a packet of bumblebee salmon (mine are approx 30 g protein) and a quarter lb of ground beef (varies based on the %). Just trying to figure out combos like this...
    My Before/After Pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast