Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future: corn fed beef as health food? page

hakman73 Guest

Shop Now

Reading this mornings The Sunday Times stumbled upon an interesting article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6936352.ece

I wonder what content of minerals and vitamins that kind of meat has.. if any..

I doubt strongly that it's going to be nutritious "grass-fed-quality" product

CJ4400 is offline Member

I was at a fairly nice restaurant and in their steak section they actually highlighted the fact that all their acquired beef is proudly corn fed!!!! As if that was a selling point? Sometimes you just have to wonder...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"Corn fed" has meant fattier, more tender beef for a hundred years. Generally, that's what people have wanted and most still do.

Yes, it is a selling point.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Blech, I visited the states not too long ago and couldn't figure out why the meat all tasted so weird until someone pointed out that it's corn fed.

Yay for alberta beef! lol

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Can't make corn or grains forever. Fossil fuels are going to run out sooner than later, and hopefully the people realize this sooner than later, because those will not be good days. Time for change is now, and it will always be now.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

NeoPaleo is online now Junior Member

Haven't you heard of Kobe beef - it's a "delicacy" - super expensive.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef)

"In accordance with popular belief, the cattle are fed a beer a day, and they are massaged with sake daily and brushed for setting fur, and fed on grain fodder."

Argentina has a tradition of grass-fed beef. I was there for a few months a couple years ago - it's the tenderest, most juicy, most delicious steak I've ever had. (Well, until I started buying local grass-fed beef from the farmer's market.)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

No feed lots in Alberta?

Neo, we had some comments here, I think linking to a news story, that more and more Argentine beef is going through feedlots.

Grass fed beef is leaner. It literally CANNOT be juicier than a feed lot steer. That's why they feed it there, keep the muscle movement minimized and feed it fattening corn and soy. Perhaps you had one of those new fangled feed lot steers.

NeoPaleo is online now Junior Member

Yeah, I've read about the increasing use of feed lots in Argentina as well. At least 2 of the times I had steak there I know for a fact it was grass-fed. Perhaps the juiciness I refer to is the blood/water of a very rare steak. I do remember it being quite lean.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Feed lots in Alberta most certainly aren't corn based! lol Yes commercial alberta beef is grain finished, but most farmers will sell you a yearling, which has eaten nothing but grass! There is a reason our beef is world famous!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I think it depends a lot on the conditions on which the grass-fed cattle are kept. The beef I buy is from black angus cattle pasture-grazed on lush green pastures in the Mid-Atlantic area. I know the owner well and I have been to his property. They don't have to move much to get mouthfuls of green grass. The meat is tender, juicy, and has the most delicious flavor. They are fed hay in winter which he also raises on his own property. The meat is far better than any grain-fed I have had. On the other hand, my husband has had some grass-fed beef from the rangelands of Montana. It was tough and much leaner - the cattle there have to work much harder to get a day's worth of food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast