Thread: Sigh...info for my almost-dietician Mom on why my kidneys are just fine? page

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member

Sigh...info for my almost-dietician Mom on why my kidneys are just fine?

My Mom keeps saying she's worried about how all the protein I'm eating is going to affect my kidneys. She's been concerned about my diet for other reasons too, but this is the primary one she keeps bringing up. She is very intelligent, but very set in her CW ways, she is in classes right now to become a dietician. Would Good Calories, Bad Calories be a good idea to give her to read? She can definitely handle the technical aspects of it.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I think it would be a good book if she reads it.
    Don't need to restrict protein unless you have issues with your kidneys. Have you ever had any issues? Take some tests to determine your kidney function.
    How much protein do you eat?

rayout is offline Senior Member
    I don't think people on primal necessarily increase their protein intake that much. Alot of that slack is taken up by fat.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if it will help, but Robb Wolf talks some about it: Clearing up Kidney Confusion: Part Deux
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    No kidney issues in my past, although my Mom has had kidney stones. I eat a good bit of protein, somewhere between 60-150 grams per day, but I always eat a lot more fat than that, my ratios are generally 75+% fat, 16% protein, 6-7% carbs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I don't know if it will help, but Robb Wolf talks some about it: Clearing up Kidney Confusion: Part Deux
    That was very well written. Thanks.

Grave_Girl is offline Junior Member
    I know this is overly simplistic, but how about suggesting your mom take a look at the diets of dialysis patients? IME, they are mostly late-stage diabetics, and have consumed a pretty typical low-protein/high carb diet. For that matter, how's your mother's own (presumably CW) diet working out for her? I know you can't actually tell your mom that, but dang it would be tempting for me.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
    My Mom keeps saying she's worried about how all the protein I'm eating is going to affect my kidneys. She's been concerned about my diet for other reasons too, but this is the primary one she keeps bringing up.
    That's very easy to defuse: Primal isn't high in protein. Just ask her how much is too much and then answer that you are be way below that.