Thread: Bacteria causes fat?? page

Catalina is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Anybody else see this?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/11/highfat-highsugar-diet-alters-bacteria-in-the-gut-making-it-easier-to-gain-weight.html

Thoughts? I was disappointed that they put fat and sugar together--wouldn't it have been better research to do one at a time?

bobbylight Guest

Seems interesting. I would like to see some solid human research before I buy it though...and from the sounds of the article that is what they plan on doing in the future.

Progenitor is offline Junior Member

They are manipulating more than 1 variable at the same time, so it is difficult to tell the causation. Maybe some one with access to the whole article can answer these, did the calories also increase when they switched to high fat/high sugar? It sounds like both were increased at the same time and total calories would be affected (unless they reduced protein for some reason).

Another thing is that it sounds like the plant diet was mostly glucose but the high sugar sounds like it was higher in fructose density. Anyone know if fructose leads to different bacterial growths than glucose? This could be the main factor here. Also interesting to know would be the breakdown of fats.

Catalina is offline Member

The fat breakdown would be great, and knowing about carbs as well. I fear that fat may be getting another bad rap.