Thread: jerky drying advice: Use a smoker? page

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member

jerky drying advice: Use a smoker?

Primal Fuel
    I am making jerky today and considering using my Big chief smoker to do so, in part b/c most recipes (including Mark's) suggest using "liquid smoke". I figure that real smoke is more primal. Has anyone used a smoker? Other options I have are a dehydrator and the oven. Any advice would be helpful.

I am also open to your favorite marinade recipe.

Thanks in advance,
    One Delta Ten Tango

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I make ground beef jerky, use my dehydrator to get it mostly done and finish it off by using a pan of chips for an hour in the Little Chief smoker (vary for your desired smoke level).

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I used the marinade recipe listed here on MDA (plus some Merlot) and dipped the meat into hot marinade for ~1min (small batches) and dried it in the oven - straight on the racks. Super easy and sooooo good! The first time I made it, my daughter and I ate most of it before it was completely done, running back to the oven every 5 minutes!

Thanks Mud Flinger and Blackbird. I went with the MDA recipe, hot marinade, and did the whole deal in the Big Chief. 2 pans of chips over a 8 hr smkoe/cook. It came out very, very tasty. I used flank steak. I'll have to try the ground beef jerky next.

OneDeltaTenTango

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Hi OneDelta. Good to hear you had success. I take it the temperature didn't get too hot in the smoker. I tried using my Brinkmann electric smoker and it got way too hot even with ice in the water pan. Do you know what temp your smoker was running?

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Hi OneDelta. Good to hear you had success. I take it the temperature didn't get too hot in the smoker. I tried using my Brinkmann electric smoker and it got way too hot even with ice in the water pan. Do you know what temp your smoker was running?
    I didn't have a thermometer in the smoker, though a good idea. I ran it for most of the time with the lid ajar. I also didn't really cook the meat when I added it to the hot marinade so wanted to make sure I erred on the side of more rather than less cooked as the meat is conventionally sourced.

I think I will do some experimenting with the dehydrator and try to rig up a thermometer in the smoker to better dial things in.
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 06-19-2011 at 10:41 AM.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I use my Little Chief and it's great. Takes about 8-12 hrs - give or take depending on the thickness of the meat and temperature outside.

My favourite marinade is just tamari sauce and maple syrup - about 2:1 ratio. And the best cut for beef jerky is HEART. It makes fantastic jerky.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Smoked sea salt in the marinade is great for imparting a smokey flavor.