Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: They seem me strollin' they hatin' page

Wilkinator is offline Junior Member

They seem me strollin' they hatin'

This post is a little exercise related, a little diet related, and a bit contrarian for good measure. At one stage or other I think I've tried every Paleo meme that sprang up over the last five years; IF, low carb, no carb, fish oil, D-sups, tabatas, burpees, HIIT, SimpleFit, CrossFit, sprinting, blood-letting, leeches...ok, so I'm joking about the last two. They were all fairly benign influences, though I never got the kind of results I was hoping for and I must point out that fish oil + low carb + any kind of HIIT was just plain detrimental, a recipe for a compromised immune system. Speaking from my own experience, it was very tempting to blame lack of progress on some other external factor rather than questioning the methodology itself (I'm not singling out any particular author or regime).

In any case my immunity has been bulletproof since abandoning sups and switching to a roughly isocaloric diet. Got that sorted, then it I decided it was time to drop 15-20lbs. Diet-wise all I have focussed on is some moderate portion control and avoiding liquid calories (I was a dairy fiend), I still drink plenty of hot coffee with a splash of milk though. Probably managed to create a 500kcal deficit with those measures alone, while eating plenty of white rice and wheat (by way of sourdough bread).

Now the really interesting part, exercise. I've taken a very different approach to what I would traditionally do and it's worked remarkably well. LISS and lots of it. Specifically, walking, or more accurately strolling, NOT jogging or power walking, strolling, very low intensity, remember that. Between 11 and 15 km (6-9 miles) each day, seven days a week, for a reliable 600kcal deficit per day (I've accounted for BMR), and a 4200kcal deficit each week.

Understand this, thee 15 minute HIIT sessions per week will come nowhere near the cumulative effects of walking two hours each day, regardless of the minor EPOC benefits from HIIT. Walking is effortlessly sustainable, that's why it can be so effective for body recomposition, keep the intensity low and you're not going to injure yourself, spike stress hormones or induce CNS fatigue. The same cannot be said for HIIT modes of training. Remember you're already placing your body under stress with the dietary constraints, asking it to deal with HIIT on top of that is probably asking too much of your recuperative powers.

I think that's enough to 'digest' for now. The approach has been good for a reliable 1 kilo (2lbs) a week so far. There's other aspects I haven't mentioned that I'd like to discuss but I'll get into those if the thread picks up a bit of steam.
    Last edited by Wilkinator; 06-18-2011 at 08:14 AM.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Problem, DFH?

Walking is king. I love it. Bravo for doing well.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Grumpy, the first post just addressed its usefulness for weight-loss which I had greatly, greatly underestimated. I probably don't have to tell you but mental acuity, improved mood, improved serum D levels and a sexy tan were all very welcome side effects. I've decided (retrospectively) that walking is one of the most human activities you can do.

A few days a week I'll also do opportunistic sets of push-ups, pull-ups, rows, lunges, and split-squats while out walking, you know the drill. I do progress the intensity on the body weight exercises but with regard to the walking I only play around with the volume. Do you spice up your walking?
    Last edited by Wilkinator; 06-18-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Ugh, I ruined a perfectly good pun, the thread title should read "They see me strollin' they hatin' "

Curses.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    When I walk, I try to do a barefoot technique even when I'm wearing shoes. It works for a little while but my mind wanders and I go back to heel-striking. I used to walk around in pool shoes to get close to the barefoot experience, but something told me that the human foot isn't meant to be on something as flat and unyielding as concrete for hours at a time. Maybe it was just my walking technique, though.

It's not only the walking that has helped, but generally staying on my feet for most of the day. It might be more useful to think of it not as "more walking" but "less sitting," including in cars.

Also, yes, I have some very profound thoughts on a long walk. It's quite meditative.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    An hour a day almost every day in everything but driving precip, +/- 4 miles. I swear by it. Although I do work up a bit of a sweat.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    20-30 min every work day at a higher intensity, plus 2 hrs strolling while shopping once a week in the evening plus 2-4 hours on the weekend (shopping, golfing). I love walking!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I second walking for weight loss. HIIT for calorie burn isn't recommended by anyone, as far as I know. Of course, we are comparing a 2 hour daily activity with a 15 minute 3x week activity, so theres that...I'd say for overall weight loss and fitnes, tons of walking, some HIIT / sprints and LHT are ideal. Hmmm, suspiciously like Mark Sisson recommends....
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Walking is my daily meditation. 1-2 hours. Keeps me sane, gets me outside, despite the weather!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast