Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Here I go...Confessions of a crazy nurse page

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member

Here I go...Confessions of a crazy nurse

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys. I've been a long time lurker, and now I'm taking the plunge. I've dabbled in low carb for years, and "done" primal off and on in the past year or so. I was primal for about half of my pregnancy, the other half was a free for all. So now I've had the baby, I am on 12 weeks maternity leave, and have started this journal as a sort of accountability tool. I have real diet/lifestyle commitment issues.

Some history. I gained weight suddenly in grade school and while I was never huge, I was heavier than most kids in my grade. Looking back I did have some binge eating behavior. As a teen I was a bit wild and lost a lot of weight due to rather spending my money on weed, meth, and alcohol than on food. I completed rehab and high school by 16, and was a mother at 17. The birth of my son was the catalyst to get me into nursing school. In this time I gained some weight, perhaps to being overweight but I looked and felt healthy. In college I started taking ephedra and lost about 40lbs by essentially starving myself. As soon as I stopped taking the pills I gained it back and then some, and then some more. I ballooned up into the 200's. I was 240lbs for my wedding in 2008. I have been 270 lbs at the beginning of the last 2 pregnancies.

I am certainly too young and too smart to be this obese. I really think living primally is the smartest most sensible way to be. I want this to be a lifestyle, not "some diet I tried then quit" (which I've done alot of). I can stick to something for about 3 weeks, then I give up and binge on garbage. Or I slip up once and decide to make it a good one and keep going and going. I make excuses about why I "deserve" to eat what I want. Well that needs to end, I deserve to be healthy and happy and have a nice body and wear the clothes I want and not be the fat friend or just a pretty face. Plus I work as a nurse, I am terrified of turning into some of the patients I see. So my journal for the world to see is going to hopefully keep me focused.

Weight today 274lbs
    Will post measurements soon (maybe even pics)

B-2 pieces bacon, 2 eggs fried in the grease
    L-chicken ceasar salad with homemade dressing and avocado
    D-chicken francese and garlic wilted spinach
    (and in the spirit of honesty 3-4 chocolate covered sunflower seeds. My daughter was eating them and I put them in my mouth without even thinking)

Activity-I did alot of cleaning today plus looking after a 2 year old and nursing a brand new baby.

As I type I have my first ever batch of bone broth started in the crockpot. I am trying this in the hopes that the collegen will help my skin as I lose weight. Wish me luck, I hope it turns out!
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you've got a really good start!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. You can do it. Good luck with Primal. Sounds like you know what to do.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseMama5 View Post
    I make excuses about why I "deserve" to eat what I want. Well that needs to end, I deserve to be healthy and happy and have a nice body and wear the clothes I want and not be the fat friend or just a pretty face.
    i used to think that, too. i "deserve" something yummy, like a brownie or a chocolate chip cookie or a piece of cake. ACTUALLY, we deserve to NOURISH our bodies! congrats on the brand new baby!!

thanks guys

I kinda had a dud of a day. The baby started his day at 0430 and would not stay asleep for any length of time until about 10. I was sooooo tired. Luckily miss sis took her nap early at 11. We all slept til 3 Then hectic hectic running to my MILs, my SIL is in from Omaha to see the baby. We had pizza I ate 2 slices, but declined the cake and sweet tea. I know pizza's not on the plan, but it happened. Not gonna quit, not gonna beat myself up over it.

B-2 hot dogs
    L-nap
    D- 1 slice supreme pizza 1 slice taco pizza
    Activity-not alot just the bare minimum to take care of the kids

Trying to decide what to eat now, I haven't had many calories for the day.... I think wax beans with cream and butter
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

WanderIVth is offline Junior Member
    Pizza is a hard one to pass up for me too. I've had some good luck making pizza out of soy flour (I know, soy), pretty low carb/high protein but oh the gas it gave me. Horrid.

Stick with it, it gets easier.
    A single, unimiginably small proton is 6 trillion times more significant to your body than the entire human race is to the universe. Remember that next time you're really mad about something.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Stay strong! You can do it
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Had a better day today. More sleep at night so I got something done today and I ate better today. I had the bone broth that I made and I don't love it, don't hate it either. Acquired taste perhaps? It was quite bland so I added thyme, garlic, and salt. Maybe it was too oily as well because I ate it straight out of the pot.

B-bone broth
    L-Italian style kale and kielbasa LOVED THIS!!!!
    S- lettuce salad with ranch, mixed veggies with cheese, mashed potatoes, roast beef this was father's day supper at MILs and I didn't do too bad if I do say so myself
    Activity- some housework

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    It's REALLY hard to eat clean when you're so busy and sleep-deprived. Your attitude is great and kudos on stopping after the pizza and not just saying "I blew it, might as well have cake, too!".
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

thanks ottercat, I certainly did have the thought "well if you're not going to do this right you might as well not do it" but that's part of what got me here.

I had a yummy day!

B-bone broth
    L-spinach salad with ribeye and homemade bleu cheese dressing
    S-smoked paprika chicken and garlic sauteed zucchini and creminis
    Activity-some housework

I still am not loving the bone broth. Tomorrow we take little man to the Dr for a re-weigh. As much as he nurses he better weigh like 13lbs!!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast