Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm venturing into the world of liver... page

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member

So I'm venturing into the world of liver...

Primal Fuel
    I bought my first cow liver today. I'm a little freaked out about cooking it this weekend. My friends and family are telling me that I'm going to hate it. So what's a good recipe to start off my liver-eating lifestyle?

nancy64 is offline Junior Member
    Fry up some bacon. Take it out to drain. Cut the liver into thin strips. Fry in the bacon grease. Don't cook the liver too long or it will be dry. If you like onions you can saute some before hand and add to the liver and bacon. The texture is what bothers most folks and I think that comes from overcooking. Also calf liver is more tender than beef liver.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by nancy64 View Post
    Fry up some bacon. Take it out to drain. Cut the liver into thin strips. Fry in the bacon grease. Don't cook the liver too long or it will be dry. If you like onions you can saute some before hand and add to the liver and bacon. The texture is what bothers most folks and I think that comes from overcooking. Also calf liver is more tender than beef liver.
    How do I know when it's done?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am new to liver as well. I just made chicken livers this week and they were good. The one thing I did that I think may have helped is I soaked the livers in cider vinegar and raw onions for about 20 minutes before cooking. They didn't have a strong flavor - so I think it helped. Good luck!!

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    How do I know when it's done?
    I cook mine until it is just a bit less than firm and still pink in the middle. The texture is soft, rather than grainy and dry.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    It's also good mixed into meatloaf. It makes meatloaf taste meatier. I use half as much liver as ground meat, plus sauteed veg & raw mushrooms (to soak up juices). You can also add ground almonds if you like. Egg to bind, lots of seasoning, and you have a deeeelicious meatloaf that everyone will love!

ETA: whiz up the liver in the food processor with the eggs - makes it easier to mix in!

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE liver and onions and have my entire life.

Fast forward to '89-'90ish.... I was on a submarine and the cooks had this damn thing called the "Menu Revue Board" and somehow I got stuck with it for my division. I asked all those fuckers what they wanted and no one would fill out the little damn paper so I took it upon myself to fill it out for them. My division was the largest on the boat (20% of the crew) so when I filled in Liver and Onions for EVERY LAST SOUL in my division it made for a rather pervasive argument

The next four months at sea were heaven for me....not so much for the rest of the crew, LMMFAO!!!!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Good on you! Liver is gorgeous. Bake, broil or fry ... whatever ... cook it. Meanwhile make up a thick onion gravy and boil up some celeriac. Mash the celeriac with ghee/butter and a touch of coconut milk. Lay slices of liver over and pour on the gravy. Awesome! Improve the dish with a wider variety of vegetables.

Aly
    I'm gonna be honest, guys. I made liver and onions after marinating the liver in cream over the weekend. I started with a forkful of onions and a nibble of liver. Oh. My God. That was seriously probably one of the worst things I've ever tasted. I really can think of anything worse I've ever eaten except old salmon. You know what, I think liver might even beat old salmon on "the worst thing I've ever eaten" list. Wow. I might just throw away the pan I cooked the liver in.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, guys. I made liver and onions after marinating the liver in cream over the weekend. I started with a forkful of onions and a nibble of liver. Oh. My God. That was seriously probably one of the worst things I've ever tasted. I really can think of anything worse I've ever eaten except old salmon. You know what, I think liver might even beat old salmon on "the worst thing I've ever eaten" list. Wow. I might just throw away the pan I cooked the liver in.
    yeah my experiment cooking liver was pretty much the same. I NEVER throw away food, but i had to chuck that liver, it was horrible. Mine was real gritty.

but don't give up! i think a previous posters suggestion to put it in meatloaf would be a good idea. I eat the Liverwurst from US wellness meats & it's yummo. I still haven't figured out how to cook liver myself, and the only recipes i'll be able to try are the ones where it's "hidden" b/c my husband refuses to eat it. I might try that meatloaf idea!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast