Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So I'm venturing into the world of liver... page 4

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    I just make sure the surface is dry and then saute in butter. I often deglaze the pan with heavy cream or liqueur of some sort to make a sauce: works wonderfully.
    I ventured in and gave liver a go today, I got one package with my 1/4 cow last winter. Defrosted, soaked in milk, dried, into the pan I had sauteed onions in bacon fat & butter, cooked maybe 2 min per side till still a bit pink in the middle. Deglazed the pan with a bit of red wine and added a splash of heavy cream.

The result? Not horrible, not great, edible, and I did eat the lot, but not sure I'll do this again. I haven't had liver since it was served a few times a month as a kid, always overcooked, and we covered it with a LOT of ketchup to mask the flavor. That said, I do love a good pate, so might try that soon, but with chicken livers.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I ventured in and gave liver a go today, I got one package with my 1/4 cow last winter. Defrosted, soaked in milk, dried, into the pan I had sauteed onions in bacon fat & butter, cooked maybe 2 min per side till still a bit pink in the middle. Deglazed the pan with a bit of red wine and added a splash of heavy cream.

The result? Not horrible, not great, edible, and I did eat the lot, but not sure I'll do this again. I haven't had liver since it was served a few times a month as a kid, always overcooked, and we covered it with a LOT of ketchup to mask the flavor. That said, I do love a good pate, so might try that soon, but with chicken livers.
    Sounds like a good first venture. I didn't "enjoy" my first try since childhood either. Much to my surprise, I've gotten used to it and am beginning to really like liver--but only calves liver. I'm still too chicken to try grown up cow liver.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    I just make sure the surface is dry and then saute in butter. I often deglaze the pan with heavy cream or liqueur of some sort to make a sauce: works wonderfully.
    Okay, that was awesome. I sauteed about a third of a chopped onion in a butter/bacon-grease combo. Once the onion started to brown, I moved it to the side of the pan to make room for the liver slice. I sauteed the liver for about two minutes on each side. Then dished out the liver and onions, and deglazed the pan with cream. The sauce was the cream, butter, and bacon grease. I poured it over the liver and onions and . . . for the first time in my life, I really liked liver!

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    Okay, that was awesome. I sauteed about a third of a chopped onion in a butter/bacon-grease combo. Once the onion started to brown, I moved it to the side of the pan to make room for the liver slice. I sauteed the liver for about two minutes on each side. Then dished out the liver and onions, and deglazed the pan with cream. The sauce was the cream, butter, and bacon grease. I poured it over the liver and onions and . . . for the first time in my life, I really liked liver!
    That was my experience the first time out: if my mother were alive, she'd pass out from shock--hated the stuff as a kid. Now I've not had any in a few weeks and I miss it. Who knew!
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

canuk_caveman is offline Member
    i make this all the time:

Baked liver with apples and bacon
    Baked liver and apples on recipecenter.com

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    I was inspired by this thread so cooked pigs liver the other night. Strength wise Cow>Lamb>Pig so I went for the mildest option.

I fried some onion and mushrooms in a frying pan with olive oil and added the sliced liver, kidney and bacon to it and just kept stirring it round till everything looked cooked. Happily it tasted great and everything was really tender - the liver was very very slightly pink in the middle and the softest we've had in our house that I can remember. Served it with Roast carrots, onions and mushrooms and will definitely be doing it again as it was really tasty and cheap.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    This time I added some chopped apple as well, and it was an improvement.

Over medium heat, I pan-fried three bacon slices (torn into small pieces) and half a chopped onion until the bacon was nearly done. Then I added about 3/4 of a chopped apple for a couple minutes. Then I smushed the bacon, onion, and apple over to one side of the pan to make room for the liver. I cooked the liver for 1-2 minutes on each side, then removed it to a plate. I added a few tablespoons worth of cream to the bacon/onion/apple mix and kept the heat on for another 1-2 minutes while stirring everything, then dumped the whole mix onto the plate on top of the liver.

Delicious.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234