Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I'm venturing into the world of liver... page 3

judoka is offline Member
    I bought some duck liver on the weekend from the local organic butcher, delicious! I've tried chicken liver before and found it disgusting though, I'm going to try calf liver next week. It's not an easy thing to start eating if you've never been an offal person, you really have to have your mind open to actually enjoy it first time rather than just keeping it down. I think I'm going to start making pate with it to mix it up a bit

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    I always liked the fake-liver chopped liver stuff at Passover, so when I get the liver from my 1/2 beef (it'd be sooo funny if the person getting the other 1/2 wants the organs and stuff too) I'm just going to make a big batch of real-liver chopped liver and call it done.

Chewy + meat = me + barf. Pink is bad and evil for me.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
    Pink is bad and evil for me.
    If this is the case, stay away from liver or change your outlook. Liver is most palatable when it is pink
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    If this is the case, stay away from liver or change your outlook. Liver is most palatable when it is pink
    Agreed. It's the only way this former liver hater will eat it: brown is gross; pink is yum.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

No, I mean I don't like the squishy-fleshy texture of meat that's still got pink in the middle, like steak that's medium vs. medium-well . So for liver, which goes from soft and horrible to dry and horrible without passing any pleasant textures (for me, obviously, I know other people enjoy rarer meat), I'm going to stick with a recipe that grinds it up into a paste. Bypass the texture issue all together.

No, I mean I don't like the squishy-fleshy texture of meat that's still got pink in the middle, like steak that's medium vs. medium-well . So for liver, which goes from soft and horrible to dry and horrible without passing any pleasant textures (for me, obviously, I know other people enjoy rarer meat), I'm going to stick with a recipe that grinds it up into a paste. Bypass the texture issue all together.
    Understood, though I will say, pink liver does not have the (to me) lovely squish of muscle meat. It's just soft rather than the gross grainy of over cooked. It is "livery" either way, though, so grinding it up in something else would be the way to go if the excess iron flavor is to be avoided.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    I got some frozen grass-fed calf liver slices yesterday. I just googled for some recipes, but most of them involve flour.

I'm thinking of just sauteeing some onions in butter, and then adding the liver slices to the pan for a couple minutes on each side at the end.

I guess I could make some kind of cream or wine sauce for it. Would a creamy cheese sauce go well with it? (Similar to a blue cheese sauce sometimes served with steaks?)

Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    I got some frozen grass-fed calf liver slices yesterday. I just googled for some recipes, but most of them involve flour.

I'm thinking of just sauteeing some onions in butter, and then adding the liver slices to the pan for a couple minutes on each side at the end.

I guess I could make some kind of cream or wine sauce for it. Would a creamy cheese sauce go well with it? (Similar to a blue cheese sauce sometimes served with steaks?)
    I just make sure the surface is dry and then saute in butter. I often deglaze the pan with heavy cream or liqueur of some sort to make a sauce: works wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    Understood, though I will say, pink liver does not have the (to me) lovely squish of muscle meat.
    That's good to know. Maybe I'll try a small onion rich bite of lightly cooked liver before turning everything into chopped liver.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's good to know. Maybe I'll try a small onion rich bite of lightly cooked liver before turning everything into chopped liver.
    I think that's a wise choice. I mean, I'm a former liver hater and I'm actually starting to love the stuff. Weird.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast