Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I'm venturing into the world of liver... page 2

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm considering the meatloaf idea too, but I'd hate to ruin a good meatloaf
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

AmyKickass is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, guys. I made liver and onions after marinating the liver in cream over the weekend. I started with a forkful of onions and a nibble of liver. Oh. My God. That was seriously probably one of the worst things I've ever tasted. I really can think of anything worse I've ever eaten except old salmon. You know what, I think liver might even beat old salmon on "the worst thing I've ever eaten" list. Wow. I might just throw away the pan I cooked the liver in.
    I can't stand liver either. We had it fairly often when I was growing up and it's one of the few things I haven't developed a taste for as an adult. I did make Mark's Curried Meatball recipe that was posted to the main site a few months ago and really enjoyed them, though. The texture was muted and I couldn't taste the liver over the curry seasonings. Similarly, the meatloaf idea is great - I think I may make that later this week.
    Peace. Love. Steak.

mm84321 is offline Senior Member
    As far as liver goes, nothing beats foie gras. Even while considering that forcibly imposed steatohepatitis is what's responsible for its ethereal taste and silky texture. Leads me to believe that the livers of the obese in this country might be mighty tasty (not that I would dare find out).

Rabbit liver is very nice, as well.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, guys. I made liver and onions after marinating the liver in cream over the weekend. I started with a forkful of onions and a nibble of liver. Oh. My God. That was seriously probably one of the worst things I've ever tasted. I really can think of anything worse I've ever eaten except old salmon. You know what, I think liver might even beat old salmon on "the worst thing I've ever eaten" list. Wow. I might just throw away the pan I cooked the liver in.
    It's not for everyone, and I honestly prefer it SMOTHERED in onions (must be onions in every bite) and bacon. The bacon is key here. Let me repeat: bacon.

Was it calves liver, or regular beef liver? Calves liver is supposed to be milder.

I second the liverwurst suggestion. Braunschweiger is another one I love.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Was it calves liver, or regular beef liver? Calves liver is supposed to be milder.
    I can vouch for calves liver. I grew up absolutely hating liver and I eat calves liver weekly. It still has the liver flavor, but it is much less pronounced and the texture is nice and soft (unless I over cook it, which I try very hard not to do).
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Aw! Liver is awesome! Maybe it's a regional palate thing? We Northern Europeans seem to love our offals, quaffing them down with abandon. Sure, it's a strong flavour and possibly an acquired taste. What about liquidising it and making up a really strong gravy for more regular meat?

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Another thing I tried the other night that worked really, really well was to blend up the liver and put it in a tomato-and-ground beef "pasta" sauce. (I use shiritake noodles instead, but essentially it's spaghetti.) Makes the sauce look like a rose sauce and tastes richer. Goes well with mushrooms if you have those to throw in too. Use lots of garlic. Anyway, the kid and the husband both asked for seconds.

mm84321 is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of rabbit liver (and kidneys and hearts [they have two]).

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Aw! Liver is awesome! Maybe it's a regional palate thing? We Northern Europeans seem to love our offals, quaffing them down with abandon. Sure, it's a strong flavour and possibly an acquired taste. What about liquidising it and making up a really strong gravy for more regular meat?
    for me it wasn't the flavor, it was the texture. I'm sure i just did something wrong but when i tried to make liver and onions, the liver tasted like gritty pennies. It was beef but i'm not sure if it was calves or grown.

i think spughy's ideas are good.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I just ate my first beef liver, too! Bathed in in olive oil and cooked just until it turned dark. I could almost cut it with a fork! It had a strong flavor, which I chose to enjoy. I even ate the huge veins in it. Then I had this bowl of cooked blood and olive oil to consume (all those fat and protein calories were finding their way into my tummy somehow!), so I drained a can of peas and tossed it in. It was epically delicious and I bought chicken liver yesterday to try it again!

I'm finally genuinely seeking out the Whole Meat experience at this point. Next will be either marrow or kidneys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast