Thread: kidney recipes? page

Italapas is offline Junior Member

kidney recipes?

Primal Fuel
    We just butchered a very young lamb, so we're gonna try cooking up the kidneys (the liver was very good, thank you ). Anyone out there have any good techniques for cooking kidneys? Other than steak and kidney pie, that is.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Fry it in your favourite flavoursome animal fat and drop in some strong flavoured mushrooms to soften in the remaining fat. Blitz to a puree and serve as quenelles with crunchy lettuce ... a decent "pate on toast".

Gently saute in your favourite flavoursome animal fat and sprinkle with minced garlic for the last couple of minutes. Simple accompaniment for any meat dish.

Saute and drop into your favourite "Grok Stew": https://picasaweb.google.com/pjgh93/...26540500009090

Curried is fun - you can make up a paste of onion, chillis and some spices, fry in ghee and drop the heat. Once brown and caramelised, raise the heat again and push the paste to the sides of the pan, a little more ghee in the middle and saute your kidneys. When browned, mix the lot together and add a little tomato puree mixed into water. Add any vegetables you like, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or so.

If you're not off dairy, you can marinate them in a yoghurt, spice and lemon juice mix and follow the above recipe idea.

Finally, my favourite. I use a tagine, but a heavy crock pot would do. Brown a good brisket joint and set aside. Fry up some onions, flavoursome mushrooms and kidneys in fat. Once soft, place the brisket over and pour on sufficient water half up the side of the brisket. Add a number of garlic cloves. Cook for an hour on a low heat, turn the brisket ... cook for another hour ... and then another ... or as long as you like.

When ready to serve, remove the brisket and set aside. Recover all of the kidney, mushrooms and pulp straining off the juice. Manually recover the kidney and mushroom and wash gently to remove any pulp. Blend the pulp and the liquid, adding a little arrowroot for thickening. This is your gravy. Re-heat the kidney and mushrooms in the gravy. You've made your veggies, right? Slice the brisket and arrange the veggies - pour over the gorgeous gravy all over: https://picasaweb.google.com/pjgh93/...06471950750866

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely doing the curried kidneys.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Do you eat dairy - i.e. sour cream?

If so - slice an onion. Fry gently in either lard or butter. While it is cooking, split the kidneys in two and remove the white stuff in the middle (don't go mad over this bit!) Slice kidneys coarsely, add to pan with a teaspoon of caraway and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Let kidneys cook until no longer bleeding (a couple of minutes only), add pot of sour cream, salt and pepper, bring to a bubble and serve.

This is almost my favourite meal, served with greens and potatoes.