Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stomach bloat drinking green tea?why? page 2

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hmm i usually leave the tea bags in for two minutes and i do use hot water but then put ice cubes in it so it's medium warmness. lol
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Try rooibos tea. More antioxidants than green tea plus no caffeine and not diuretic effect. I second what was said above about chemical decaffeination. It can sometimes be worse than the caffeine. Rooibos is caffeine free naturally and has a robust enough flavor to keep a reformed coffee drinker like me happy.
    Where are you getting the information that roobois tea has more antioxidants than green tea? There is no study to prove that. Or maybe there is and you can point me to it. Roobois lacks L-theanine which is has cancer fighting properties. Having said that Roobois is still good stuff to drink but please show a proof that it has more antioxidants than green tea before making such claims.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Where are you getting the information that roobois tea has more antioxidants than green tea? There is no study to prove that. Or maybe there is and you can point me to it. Roobois lacks L-theanine which is has cancer fighting properties. Having said that Roobois is still good stuff to drink but please show a proof that it has more antioxidants than green tea before making such claims.
    Um, pardon me, professor, for not having the appropriate citations in my bibliography. I did a lot of research on it several years ago but I didn't keep it all in a file for you. Sorry. Had I realized that I would be required to "show proof" I would have bookmarked it. You will either have to take my word for it that I did indeed read that somewhere or you could do your own research. In any case, rooibos is still good stuff.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    How long are you brewing the tea for? When I first started drinking green tea, I would just leave the tea bag in the cup (like I do with my herbal teas), sometimes for 15-20 mins and I would always get horrible stomach pains and bloating after drinking it. I just figured it didn't agree with me.

Then I read the directions, brew for 1-2 mins and then discard the tea bag. *facepalm* Now I brew for only two mins and I am fine every time I drink it. No bloating, no pain, no gas.

Um, pardon me, professor, for not having the appropriate citations in my bibliography. I did a lot of research on it several years ago but I didn't keep it all in a file for you. Sorry. Had I realized that I would be required to "show proof" I would have bookmarked it. You will either have to take my word for it that I did indeed read that somewhere or you could do your own research. In any case, rooibos is still good stuff.
    You can read many things somewhere and claim whatever you like.
    Yes, I did my own research and roobois does not have more antioxidants.
    Comparative flavonoids contents of selected herbs... [J Food Sci. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Paleobird Guest
    Comparative flavonoids contents of selected herbs... [J Food Sci. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Bully for you. You've got a citation.

It's just not that important. Untwist the knickers already. Sheesh.

Would it make you happy if perhaps what I read was on a site that was peddling Rooibos tea? Maybe it was. I honestly don't remember.

Just relax and have a cup of whatever kind of tea you like.

Bully for you. You've got a citation.

It's just not that important. Untwist the knickers already. Sheesh.

Would it make you happy if perhaps what I read was on a site that was peddling Rooibos tea? Maybe it was. I honestly don't remember.

Just relax and have a cup of whatever kind of tea you like.
    What's wrong with getting corrected? Did I bruise your ego? I thank people who correct me when I am wrong.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I love green tea! Do you drink yours with lemon? If not, you ought to--vitamin C ups the absorption of green tea's antioxidants, including EGCG, your heart's best friend--and it cancels out tea's negative effects on iron absorption.

Steeping tea too long will definitely give you a stomach ache. I steep mine for 5-7 minutes without problems, though. I drink Bigelow Organic Green Tea, which you can get in a big box for relatively cheap at Sam's Club where I live. The caffeine hardly effects me; it makes me a bit more alert, and I'll admit, a bit more prone to dancing around my kitchen, but nothing like what coffee does to me (which is something like this....*someone taps me on the shoulder* AHHHHH! STEP BACK!! HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!!!!)

Could it just be the excess water that makes you bloat? If I drink a whole glass of water at once, I'll definitely feel bloated, especially if I'm drinking it after a meal. I'd rather sip my cup of tea slowly....mmm.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you'd get better results if you spelled it correctly?

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Rooibos Tea Benefits
    not a study but it does say it has more than 50 x SOD than green tea(defininition of SOD: an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of superoxide into hydrogen peroxide and oxygen) So 50 x the antioxidants. There are much more results if you do a search for "ROOIBOS benefits" but I am really just wondering if there is something more personal going on between KathyH and Paleobird than that she is curious to know why green tea has been so maligned. Sheesh is right.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast