Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first IF page

g2baker is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Hi there, I decided to do my first fast today. I've been doing the primal diet now for 7 weeks and thought I would finally try my first IF. The last food I had was last night at 9 pm and I had about 2 oz of pork loin. I didn't have any real intentions of doing the fast until about mid day today. Around 3pm I went to go lift weights and did 8 sprints up some stairs. Went to the grocery store to pick up some Ketostix and thought I was going to loose it. My legs were shaking pretty bad. I lasted 21 hours. To my disappointment, I am definitely not in Ketosis. I'm a little bummed about that. What does it take to get into Ketosis? Ahhggg. I think I'm almost 100% Primal, hardly and dairy, strawberries or raspberries as my only fruit, eat a big ass salad once a day, coconut milk (3oz) mixed with water latte, and maybe a root vegetable no more than 3 times a week, lots of eggs. I haven't had any grains/rice since I've started. The weight is coming off so slowly (but at least my weight is not going up). I broke the fast with some home made turkey soup (no grains) just some root veggies (and coconut milk - yumo!) and a salad. If I should do this IF again, should I go for another 20+ hours, eat something like protein/fat and continue to fast again? What am I doing wrong? Thanks all!

Clark G. Guest

I've done IF twice and both times I've had carb cravings afterward. Did you notice this?

As for getting into ketosis, that can be tricky. I'm not intentionally going after ketosis at this point, but when I did the Atkins diet several years ago ketosis only came with near 0 carbs and lots of meat.

I also found the Eades IF timing to make more sense. Skim this and see if it might be helpful for you:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/i...better-health/

Good luck!

bobbylight Guest

Ketostix are apparently not always accurate. It is possible that you are in ketosis but are just very well hydrated. That is what I have heard before. Also, if your legs were shaking and you "almost lost it" IFing might not be for you (in my opinion at least).

Eegah is offline Junior Member

I've done many 22-24 hour fasts, and several longer ones, even stretching one out to 48 hours (I did that one to give my liver an extra long break). The first few are always a bit of an 'adventure', make sure you keep drinking plenty of water. I usually find that about 13-15 hours in I find myself belching (is this the point where the body switches over to fat stores?), but after that I seem to cruise along without even thinking about food, and generally feel very powerful and strong - the last 12 hours of the 48 hour fast were actually fantastic.

Just make sure you eat a BIG primal meal before, remember that your body doesn't use up all the energy from your last meal for up to 18 hours (your mind thinks you're hungry, your body doesn't), keep hydrated, time it right (i.e. eat that meal 6-8 hours before going to bed if you can, that way by the time you wake up you should be 14-16 hours into your fast), relax, enjoy, preferably don't sit indoors staring at the TV (but if you're new to fasting don't over exert yourself either), about 20 hours allow your mind to turn to your next meal. After a few fasts you realise that you are not going to starve to death, so it becomes easier, but there's no disgrace in falling short of your target time, you might like to keep something Primal close to hand just in case - I always have a 75g pack of biltong on standby - there will be times when you willl quite happily go beyond your target time, just go with how you feel. I found coffee helped during my early fasts if I felt a little light headed (again this was usually around the 13-15 hour mark), but I don't even drink coffee anymore and have found that I need less water when fasting too.

Good luck, keep going, and remember it's not a race but a journey.

bobbylight Guest

What is biltong?

Biltong is similar to Jerky. South African in origin, it can be made from most meats: beef, ostrich, springbok, etc, etc.

@Clark - No cravings at all. I'm surprisingly pretty full after a cup of soup and salad. I had strawberries with cream. Thanks for the link. I like the idea of fasting after dinner until 6pm the following night, then eating breakfast and lunch. I might night do it that frequently, but maybe fast 2 per week. My husband found this bit of research: http://www.gizmag.com/dietary-restri...m_medium=email

That is what made me try it, living longer and healthier is a good thing!

@bobby, when I lift weights along with tabata sprints, I always get shaky. This was just a little worse this time. I just worked too hard. I like taking it to the brink, just not going over!

Here an interesting short post by Dr. William Davis regarding meal timings:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...frequency.html

JamieBelle is offline Member

I've completed maybe 3-4 24-hour fasts in the last couple months. I find they get easier the more I do them. Yeah, I'm hungry, but it's just not a big deal.

They never affect my weight one way or another, but I'm not trying to lose.

I secrete "trace" amounts of ketones if I keep my carbs at or below 50g per day. On the days I fast the stick has turned purple, so a much larger amount of ketones. I've also found that the stix are more accurate if I'm not diluting with lots of drinking water. So I try not to drink too much right before I test.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@ Eegah - I appreciate the link, thx

@ JamieBelle - I'm trying to loose the weight! I was surprised to see I lost 2 lbs. I wasn't in Ketosis during the fast but I've stayed in Ketosis the day after. I can't eat much fruit right now or I'll go out of Ketosis. I'm more shocked that I'm not hungry. I kept hearing about it on the forum, but now I'm experiencing it. Kind of fun. I find it interesting how all of us respond differently to IF and Ketosis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast