Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I guess I'm a success story now page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

I guess I'm a success story now

I've realized that, with exception to certain parts of my past I've met or exceeded every reasonable goal I've set.
    1) Get my thyroid under control. Eating right and taking a thyroid supp, as well as getting my doc to up my levothyroxine dose did this. The best advice I can give to anyone with hypothyroidism wanting to feel better: DO NOT GO VLC. Not even accidentally slipping into it. Keep yourself over 50g carbs per day. My ideal is 75g- 100g. Dump the grains and sugar, not just for primal/ paleo, but also because it helps your symptoms. In my n=1 experience, grains and sugar just confused my poor thyroid even further and made things worse.
    2) Came to grips with knowing I'd never see the skinny little underweight thing I once as again. I came to terms with my healthy body and realized that those curves were supposed to be there. Yes, I still weghed 10 lb over what I did in college. I also have more musculature and a more feminine body now. I'm damn hot and if damn hot is 10 lb over what I thought I was my goal weight, I'm fine by that, because I wear a smaller size than I have in my adult life and look better than I ever did.
    3) I only lost 15 lb, but that's on a 5'2" thin body frame and even at my heaviest I was still technically a hair overweight (as in 1 lb.) I was in this for weight loss, yes, but that turned out to be a side benefit as everything else happened.
    4) I healed my gut. I didn't have it very bad at all, but it wasn't very pleasant. I can now eat grains and sugars as often as a couple times a week without my body sending out distress signals about an imminent need to get rid of it and farting with every step. I still get some joint pain and some bloating, nowhere near as much.
    5) Speaking of my joints, I got rid of my bursitis when I went primal. Didn't even have to cut out my beloved nightshades.
    6) Got rid of the pain associated with my cervical protrusions (the smaller brother of a slipped disc in the neck) in the same way.
    7) Suicidal depression is G-O-N-E, gone. Only comes back on a grain filled diet.
    8)I'm slowly dealing with my demons, as opposed to running screaming. How does this have anything to do with primal? See #7
    9) I has abs! I'm not six pack cut, that was never my goal. I do have the swimsuit model belly, though, with the definition along the sides. My legs and arms are also cut if I flex. Not bad for a woman who was a skinny fat toothpick 3.5 years ago and an flabby mess a year ago.
    10) My hair is fuller than I've ever seen it and behaves better and my skin glows (not just 'cause I'm frog belly white either.) I can actually tan now, as opposed to turn into a lobster, and my hair is growing faster than I've ever seen it. Same goes for my fingernails.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    This is so full of WIN!
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    That is bad ass. 10 high fives for you.

Thanks, y'all! It was a bit of a startling realization to know that I'd done myself better than my starting goal.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    1) Get my thyroid under control. Eating right and taking a thyroid supp, as well as getting my doc to up my levothyroxine dose did this. The best advice I can give to anyone with hypothyroidism wanting to feel better: DO NOT GO VLC. Not even accidentally slipping into it. Keep yourself over 50g carbs per day. My ideal is 75g- 100g. Dump the grains and sugar, not just for primal/ paleo, but also because it helps your symptoms. In my n=1 experience, grains and sugar just confused my poor thyroid even further and made things worse.
    thank you for this advice! will i still lose weight with 75 grams of carbs?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

I lost weight at 75g. I gained weight under 50g.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations! Huzzah for you!
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I lost weight at 75g. I gained weight under 50g.
    i agree, it is interesting i have found i lose weight better with a little more carbs as well. I am glad u shared you're actual experience. i appreciate it!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast