Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Leptin Week" summary and part 2, circadian rhythms page

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

"Leptin Week" summary and part 2, circadian rhythms

Shop Now
    I didn't want to repeat the same material on the various leptin topics, but I had 2 questions..

1. For the people that got into the leptin topic in the last week or so, what did you take from it? Did it really make you rethink some things? Did it enforce some things you already thought about? Did it help fill in some blanks?

2. Would you agree that the next piece of the puzzle is about circadian rhythms? Specifically, I mean how the various hormones work together and balance out, and how this cycles over a 24-hr period.

I just think this is as important as understanding macronutrients, insulin, leptin, cortisol, melatonin, and a bunch more. When matters as much as what. I don't think most writers go into this very much in terms of the complete picture.

Robynbee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    1. For the people that got into the leptin topic in the last week or so, what did you take from it? Did it really make you rethink some things? Did it enforce some things you already thought about? Did it help fill in some blanks?

I just think this is as important as understanding macronutrients, insulin, leptin, cortisol, melatonin, and a bunch more. When matters as much as what. I don't think most writers go into this very much in terms of the complete picture.
    This on-going leptin topic has indeed made me rethink some things, namely, eating first thing in the morning. I have to say, though, that I've been feeling overwhelmed with all the new information coming at me and it's making me a bit stressed. It seems like there's always some new idea that comes out that really makes sense to me (like being leptin resistant) but I have trouble juggling it with the rest of the things that also make sense to me. One of my major problems is thinking about food all the time and stressing out about it every single minute.....and with all the new findings out there, I'm finding it really hard to relax about it and it's starting to make me a bit insane, I think.

Sorry...I guess that was a little bit of a vent. Umm.....anyway....I would agree that understanding circadian rhythms is super important.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I too have started eating first thing in the am. Had been fasting till 12-2ish before. I find it makes it is making me more tired and I have a real ketosis breath feeling in my esophogus. Not sure if my breath actually smells like ketosis though. I'm sticking with it for the 6-8 weeks though. I feel like the science makes so much sense, especially about not being able to use our food to produce energy properly (I'm now reading Mastering Leptin).

nolineon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynbee View Post
    This on-going leptin topic has indeed made me rethink some things, namely, eating first thing in the morning. I have to say, though, that I've been feeling overwhelmed with all the new information coming at me and it's making me a bit stressed. It seems like there's always some new idea that comes out that really makes sense to me (like being leptin resistant) but I have trouble juggling it with the rest of the things that also make sense to me. One of my major problems is thinking about food all the time and stressing out about it every single minute.....and with all the new findings out there, I'm finding it really hard to relax about it and it's starting to make me a bit insane, I think.

Sorry...I guess that was a little bit of a vent. Umm.....anyway....I would agree that understanding circadian rhythms is super important.
    I feel your pain. I really do. As a relative newbie still trying to figure out PB, having to try to figure out what everyone is talking about Leptin with Dr. Kruse and IF with Leangains, can be overwhelming. The way I try to handle the information overload is to remind myself that every new bit of knowledge I learn is getting me closer to a healthier version of myself. I may not understand everything immediately (esp. the parts about the biological processes behind why to do things one way or another) but it's progress nonetheless. The image I have is of like doing a puzzle. I learn something that I may not initially understand but that still means I have a new piece of the puzzle in my possession. I may not know where it goes yet but that's one less piece that's missing. Slowly but surely I will find where the pieces go. And as the pieces come together I get the benefit of seeing a new healthier version of myself emerging!

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I'll post more when I get home.

But one of the biggest things I've taken away from it is frustration. Dr. Kruse is awesome at showing the What and the Why of all this (as far as explaining the conditions) but not the How - As in How to make things right - in all but the vaguest terms that generally DON'T include much in the way of What and Why. And I've got the sneaking suspicion that he's going to work his way through his quilt before he really attempts to address that.

Don't want to sound complainy - because he's putting out so much good information and being a doctor with a full time practice he is devoting insane amounts of time on his own blog and here trying to keep up with content and answer questions - but I'm very solution-oriented. It's frustrating for me to have all the details about the problem and only a smattering of edicts regarding the solution(s).

That said, I'm plugging away and in several areas I'm finding that I am noticing changes.

What I really wish is that I could comb through his old facebook posts and see precisely what he did himself.

But just getting the information that something I didn't know about is wrong and getting the opportunity to hash it out with people who are in the same boat as me is - once again - refreshing.

Glad you guys are here.

Robynbee is offline Senior Member
    @ nolineon - I like the way you put that, very succinct. I can definitely relate to the 'doing a puzzle' image. When my puzzle is complete it will be an image of me, looking awesome and probably riding a unicorn into the rainbow sunset.

@brahnamin - Agreed, I'm glad you guys are here as well. Without this forum it would have been so much harder to get to the level of understanding of my diet that I have now.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I thought the timing of these Leptin threads, discussion of Intermittent Fasting and Leangains was interesting. See this recent post by Martin on his site: Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

He provides his research and studies to reference.

I will admit to not comparing the details of both arguments. I am not saying either approach is correct, because it seems there is evidence and good arguments on both sides. It comes down to doing what works for you. I do agree with DFH that IF'ing is probably not a good idea for the very overweight. I think it's something for those that are already in a good place with their diet and fitness, and want to lose fat and retain muscle.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I've found all the information to be very hard work - Dr K isn't a clear thinker at all, so getting the nuggets out of his posts is frustrating and then I have to search for evidence that supports and refutes his claims to see if they make sense. It's a long process, and I've had a break from him in the last week.

That said, I did find enough evidence, including my own n = 1 experiment, to support eating a little earlier than I had been (around 10am instead of waiting til 12 - 2pm) when I first feel a little bit hungry rather than when I'm completely focused on needing to eat. I don't accept the '30 minutes of waking' rule at all. When I break my fast, I protein and fat load it - usually not quite making it to the 50g point, but up around 30ish grams of protein. Days when I do that I am completely satiated for around 7 - 9 hours, which tends to put me in the timeframe for a lighter dinner than I'd been having (smaller portions of meat, some veges, some carbs), then no more eating til I'm peckish the next morning. Doing that, I've had steady energy levels and weight loss every day. But my sleeping is really unsettled.

So, yeah, it did make me rethink some things. I've adjusted according to my own body, though, not some arbitrary rules.

And yeah, circadian rhythms is likely to be a really good followup to this. Are you planning to write it up, DHF??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest

2. Would you agree that the next piece of the puzzle is about circadian rhythms? Specifically, I mean how the various hormones work together and balance out, and how this cycles over a 24-hr period.

1. It reinforced what I was feeling and doing already in that, having tried the morning IFing thing, and having gone back to eating a hearty protein breakfast, I know my workouts are better and I don't get snacky with the latter. As John says, I agree that IFing is really cool if you are ripped and want to get even more ripped. For regular mortals, it's just stress that doesn't need to be there. The bandwagon effect can be really overwhelming around here. (must be even more so for newbies).
    2. I agree that circadian rhythms are important but I also think we could run the risk of setting up too much of an artificially imposed structure on eating that could kill the pleasure and just be a cortisol elevator if we insist on rigid timing for meals. I think each individual has his/her own rhythms . I agree that eating a good chunk of protein first thing in the morning is good. I just don't think that has to be at 6:30 am if that's not your normal time to get up.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Would you agree that the next piece of the puzzle is about circadian rhythms? Specifically, I mean how the various hormones work together and balance out, and how this cycles over a 24-hr period.
    Maybe. A commenter on Dr. K's blog asked about the specific timing associated with the protocol. Dr. K recommended she adjust the protocol to fit her work schedule.

That said, I'm thinking the closer we can fit things to the protocol the better because so many of the individual elements fit together in that fashion. And after all this is a 2-month program, not a lifestyle WoE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast