Thread: Is Light Olive Oil nutritionally the same as Extra Virgin Olive Oil? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Is Light Olive Oil nutritionally the same as Extra Virgin Olive Oil?

Primal Fuel
    I know taste is different but other than that are they the same?

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Essentially, yes.

Edit to add - Please read the next post - Apparently my essentials are crap.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 06-17-2011 at 11:58 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    NO!

Extra virgin olive oil is the very first cold-pressing. This is basically the oil from squeezing the olives. It's not refined. It's somewhat cloudy. It's green in color (the good stuff is). It has a strong flavor. THIS is real, unprocessed oil loaded with antioxidants and nutrition. This is great stuff.

Light olive oil is processed junk. After the olives are pressed and are at this point useless piles of excrement, they extract whatever oil is remaining through high heat and bleaching processes. You may as well buy canola oil. There's no nutritional value and it's highly processed. All you get is a chemically-extracted, low-nutrient oil that I'm guessing has been heated to the point of oxidation, then bleached to remove the rancidity like the other chemically-processed vegetable oils are. No thanks! If you're not buying cold-pressed olive oil, I'd stay away.

There are several ways to make extra light olive oil. The first involves heavily refining olive oil through heating and a series of filters. The end product is a very pale oil which is virtually scentless and has a very light flavor. Other producers make extra light olive oil by adding virgin olive oil to other oils, such as vegetable or canola. The resulting oil has a high smoking point and a very light flavor provided by adding a dash of olive oil.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-extr...-olive-oil.htm
    Gross!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-17-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hrm. I stand corrected.

Well that sucks. Thanks for the good info though - and the link.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    If all that is true about light olive oil....why does Mark recommend it for high heat cooking? I don't think I've ever heard him warn us to stay away from light olive oil, and I feel like he would. I'm pretty sure I started using light olive oil BECAUSE of him. I'm totally confused!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Light olive oil is highly refined extra light olive oil with a splash of extra virgin olive oil thrown in. I've heard Mark recommend pure olive oil for higher heat frying. Extra virgin olive oil has a relatively low smoke point and isn't suitable for high heat frying, so if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO fry something at high heat, 100% pure olive oil is probably your best bet. Yes, it's refined, but not as heavily. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but if you need a temperature higher than what coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, butter and lard can provide, 100% pure olive oil is one of your best choices. It beats the hell out of peanut or canola oil, I can promise you that.

Mark is all about tailoring Primal to the masses. I doubt he'd ever deep fry something at high heat, but he realizes many of us will. Hardly any of us would be as strict as him. However, if he preached his personal lifestyle, there would be 14 people on this forum. That's why the 20% rule exists - it's the difference between 100 followers and 10,000 followers. He realizes that people will make less than ideal choices - we're human. If we do have to deep fry something, it's not that he recommends using pure olive oil. It's just one of the least evil of the evils that's readily available at Shop Rite. I don't know about you, but I've never seen avocado oil on the shelf.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-18-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't know about you, but I've never seen avocado oil on the shelf.
    You can get it at Whole Foods, and I carry it in my store, but it's not commonly available in conventional grocery stores. I never use the stuff. It's got a 13 - 1 ratio of omega 6 over omega 3.