Thread: IF.....am I eating enough? page

Julesj is offline Junior Member

IF.....am I eating enough?

Primal Fuel
    I lost 4-5lbs as soon as I switched to primal. I feel great and have only been doing this for about 6 weeks. The last 10 days I have been doing IF and find that I am not very hungry AT ALL. I have just been listening to my body and hunger cues.

I am worried that I will start to lose muscle. I fast from about 8pm to 12pm. I usually have a big ass salad topped with an avocado to break the fast. For dinner 4-8oz of protein and veggies. I track my calories/macros but I often end up under 1000 cals on fasting days.

My energy is fine and I workout daily. I am 5'8, 153lbs, BMI is 23%. I am working on getting my body fat lower not concerned as much about the scale but I am within 15lbs of my goal. For me, not being hungry is insane!! Am I eating enough?

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    How often do you skip breakfast ("IF" if you prefer)? Add protein to your salad

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Your body will sort it out--don't worry! Some days I eat 1000 calories, some days 2000. It all works out in the big picture.

+1 on adding protein to your salad.

Weight-lifting will ensure that you don't lose muscle. Read this:
    Muscle Building 101 | The Lean Saloon
    and this:
    Intermittent Fasting, hGH, and Muscle Mass Preservation | The Lean Saloon

Once you have hit your goal level of leanness, add some Primal carbs if you need to up your appetite.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Ditto with what Dragonfly said. I IF just the way you do daily, and I'm only losing fat. If you keep up with the LIT's, and continue to listen to your body, you'll be alright.

Julesj is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the links to the Lean Saloon! I skip breakfast (IF) about 4-5 days a week.....it just depends on how I feel. I do usually have a cup of coffee with half n half. This morning was different, I had three stips of thick cut bacon. But for lunch today, I had only a two scoops of protein powder w/water. I will have a big dinner with protein and veggies this evening. Tomorrow, prob skip breakfast...etc. For something sweet I will eat two squares of 85% dark cacao chocolate or a couple of tablespoons of Fage greek yogurt with a handful of berries and a little coconut. This week I have backed off of dairy and nuts and I lost another 3-4 pounds.

I keep adjusting foods as I learn more about this way of eating as well as take cues from how my body is adapting/feeling. I forgot to mention that I'm 45 and that I do lift weights about four times a week, two of those days I lift heavy. I do not kill myself with cardio anymore. I want to get leaner and stronger! I incorporate swimming, walking, 30 Day Shred....I try to keep my body guessing.

I guess I should focus on more protein and fat. What is your favorite brand of Coconut oil? Does Costco carry Ghee?
    Thanks,
    Jules

This is the kind of coconut oil I buy & love. Regularly on sale at out food coop.

Shell is offline Junior Member
    Ghee is very easy to make yourself and you have two advantages by doing so: first, it's way cheaper, and second, you control what butter goes into it. The second is very important if you have a sensitive system like I do. I don't tolerate commercially made ghee as well as homemade. I use KerryGold Irish Cultured Unsalted Butter to make my ghee. You just heat it gently in a pan until the milk solids separate from the fat--don't let it boil or foam over. Cool a bit (for safety--it's hot oil), strain, jar and then use to cook in as needed. I don't refrigerate mine and make it in small batches for freshness and ease in removal from the jar. If you make it in large batches or don't use it often, then you might want to refrigerate, but then you need to chip it/dig it out of the container!

nolineon is offline Member
    I was under the impression that the reason IF-ing is supposed to be effective is because it improves Leptin response and initiates Ketosis, right? And not as a result of calorie restriction?

If that's the case then shouldn't we try to maintain our daily caloric intake and just shorten the windows of time in which we consume our food while lengthening the windows of time in which we fast?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by nolineon View Post
    I was under the impression that the reason IF-ing is supposed to be effective is because it improves Leptin response and initiates Ketosis, right? And not as a result of calorie restriction?

If that's the case then shouldn't we try to maintain our daily caloric intake and just shorten the windows of time in which we consume our food while lengthening the windows of time in which we fast?
    Yes, those are great benefits of IF for most people. Increasing Leptin sensitivity with IF is still not fully clear. Definitely my personal experience and it plays out in the mice studies, so far.

And IF is also an easy way to eat fewer non-essential calories (food eaten out of habit, boredom, etc.) by reducing the size of your eating window.

Eat whole Primal foods to satiety, but don't try to eat a set number of calories.

Best to let your body figure out how much food to eat (assuming your metabolism is healthy!)

Lean Saloon is a great resource, if you haven't found it already.