Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intro and a little advice needed page

runswithbuffalo is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hello,

I figured I ought to introduce myself =D I have been trying hard to go Primal/Paleo for several years now. Lived in Boulder CO, saw a local paper article about Cordain and have been fascinated since but, I do struggle with being lazy and fixing carbs too often. It is especially hard since my hubby is 6'6" and, on a good day, weighs 185. He eats lots of everything and the best way to fill him up is with pasta, etc.. I find it hard to not eat what he is eating.........

I have been told I "live in a paleo paradise" as my family and I raise grass-fed bison/buffalo and free range chickens for eggs. I just add carbos to the bison/buffalo meat (buff burgers and eggs-buff sausage-n-toast, etc.) =D

Anyhoo, I live in a small community so the internet is my connection now so, I figured I would hook up with a group of people that are living (or trying to live) Primal/Paleo to help me make the leap for good. I am now about 60 pounds overweight (unbelievable!!), have IBS, a multitude of aches and pains, depression, drink too much....blah blah blah. I KNOW that Primal is the way to go!!!

Well, that's it in a nutshell (at least that is primal!!)

runswithbuffalo

bobbylight Guest

Have you done low carb diets before? Some people feel great on low carb diets, but some people do better with higher carbs. I would suggest trying out a low carb diet and see if you feel good and have energy on it, and only after the trial period commit to the PB. I would say about 2 weeks on the PB and you will know how you do with low carb diets.

Also, it might be best to check out mark's book to really understand the PB, because I am pretty sure it is a bit different than Cordain's take on paleo. Other than that, if you want to go primal, you are going to have to just buckle down and cut the breads out. My wife eats a lot of pasta too, it just takes will power to cut them out.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Oh for God's sake Bobby. Someone posts here looking for support with going Primal, and you start by telling her that Primal may not work for her? Way to be supportive.

Runswithbuffalo, please ignore the doubter, and WELCOME!

bobbylight Guest

She said that she "KNOWS" that primal is the way for her. I just stated that some people don't do well on a low carb, and she might be one of them.

Kristen Guest

bobbi, could you specify what you think low carb is? Does it fall in line with Marks pyramid?

Runswithbuffalo, I just started the pb a few months back, and I have to admit that I have fallen a few times along the way. I have found that when I "cheat" a little, inevitably I crave carbs like I did before I changed my eating habits, and it sometimes lasts for a few days. I would suggest trying to be really strict for 30 days, and seeing how you feel at the end of the month. I always find that keeping a journal really helps me focus on being aware of how I feel from day to day. I bet that if you can stick with it (really stick with it!) you will feel amazing!! Good luck!

Clark G. Guest

Hi runswithbuffalo,

I visited CO a few years ago (Denver and Boulder), it's beautiful country!

I've been following PB for a few weeks now and I can say that I feel great! I have lost weight (6 lbs), have more energy, sleep better, and seem to heal more quickly from minor aches and pains.

I'm not sure I've been doing this long enough to give advice, but planning meals and snacks has really helped me stick with the plan. I'm also sticking with foods I really love. That means I'm eating a lot more steak and perhaps a bit more sausage than I should be, but I'm full and happy with my food choices. After a few weeks, fruit and the occasional bit of dark chocolate keep any major sugar cravings in check.

Good luck!

bobbylight Guest

"bobbi, could you specify what you think low carb is? Does it fall in line with Marks pyramid? "

I would say a diet wouldn't be low carb when the carbs are above 150 grams a day. That is higher than Mark thinks anyone should go though. I have done a lot of research on the subject and if you look at message boards on different sites you will find many people that cannot handle a low carb diet and lose weight on high carb diets (over 50% carbs). It seems to be linked to insulin sensitive. If you are very insulin sensitive, it seems as though you do better on high carb diets and possibly do really bad on low carb diets. Many people just feel fuzzy and slow on low carb diets.

bobbylight Guest

"I'm also sticking with foods I really love. That means I'm eating a lot more steak and perhaps a bit more sausage than I should be, but I'm full and happy with my food choices. After a few weeks, fruit and the occasional bit of dark chocolate keep any major sugar cravings in check."

Clark, I think this is the right way to do the PB. Eat what you like while still losing weight (if that is your goal). If you try to eat a perfect diet, unless you are extremely disciplined, you are setting yourself up for failure IMO. A little bit of leeway can go a long way for mental sanity when on a diet (especially at the start).

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

@runswithbuffalo - welcome! Where you live sounds beautiful - you're so lucky!

I think that if you can stick to primal food, many or even all of your health issues will disappear. I'm only saying this because I've been primal for 8 weeks now, had IBS, was overweight, terrible periods etc etc and all of that has now disappeared. I've lost 28 pounds and more, dropped several clothes sizes and feel on top of the world.

I think how you approach this way of life depends on your personality. If you need cheat meals to manage your carb cravings, then plan them into your week. If you are an all or nothing kind of person, then being really strict with yourself for 30 days may be what you need. That's what I did, and it got me great results.

My OH isn't primal, so when there are carbs on her plate, I have more meat on my plate and more fat. That soon stops me wanting the pasta,the bread and so on.

I must stress that all this is what suits and worked for me. You may be different. I also used Fitday.com to log all my food intake, to see what I was really eating. Making yourself accountable definitely made a difference to me in the beginning, but then I began to see my health results, change in body shape and so on so quickly that this became all the incentive I needed.

So, I hope that helps.

runswithbuffalo is offline Junior Member

Wow, thanks for all the advice!

I did do a low-carb diet several years ago, it was the anti-candida diet...super strict. It was a hard diet to be on but, I really did feel better and lost weight. Just found myself wanting to eat what I prepared for hubby and started back on carbs. It has been that way since.

It is true, I just need to "buckle down" and amp up my will power. Thanks, Bobby!!

I find if I cheat, then it is a continual downward spiral so, I will take the advice of strict 30, journaling, planning (very key for me) and Fit Day (new thing...very cool!). What I don't have now because I live in a very rural area is support so, I am excited to "meet" y'all. Thanks so much!

I did talk to hubby and told him if he wants toast, etc., he will have to make it himself...otherwise I am too tempted.

I will keep you posted.

runswithbuffalo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast