Thread: Chorizo Casero page

bigtex is offline Junior Member

Chorizo Casero

Primal Fuel
    The chorizo mexicano you find in stores is usually filled with extra garbage. Here is a recipe for homemade chorizo. If you need the ingredients translated just ask.

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    I'd love it if you could write a list of the ingredients translated! I understand a little Spanish, but I can't catch all of them. =)
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    I think I understood/recognized most of the ingredints (salt, garlic, vinegar, oregano, ancho peppers, cumin, cloves?) but I didn't get any of the measurements Yes, a little translation would be nice!

I bought a can of no-filler, real-food enchilada sauce and I noticed it vaguely reminded me of Chorizo. I wonder now if it had some of the same peppers or something to give it that taste. I was thinking of mixing that sauce with ground pork, but now I have a real recipe!

bigtex is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ika View Post
    I'd love it if you could write a list of the ingredients translated! I understand a little Spanish, but I can't catch all of them. =)
    3 cloves
    black pepper to taste (he doesn't add the whole amount shown)
    salt to taste (he doesn't add the whole amount shown)
    1/4 cup oregano (probably mexican oregano but the regular kind would be fine)
    1/4 cup cumin powder
    12 ancho chiles (I think he soaked them in hot water before you see him tear them open and toast them. He removes the seeds and veins before toasting)
    2 heads of garlic
    white vinegar

Remove the seeds and veins of the chiles. Toast them. Be careful not too much.
    He adds salt to taste to the ground pork and some vinegar.
    In the blender goes the garlic chiles cumin cloves oregano black pepper and vinegar.
    Mixes that business into the pork. (Not sure how much pork he's got.)
    Let it rest for an hour. (In the fridge I would imagine)
    Cook it up and mess it forth.

Grafvitnir is offline Member
    He is using 2 Kilograms ground pork; that's about 4 pounds...
    He just washed the chiles; I usually soak them, as bigtex said, in hot water for a while before removing seeds and veins. He warns, and it is true, that you have to be careful toasting them. If you over do it they will be bitter.
    He said it is left resting outside the fridge for an hour before putting it inside. He cooked it to taste it and see if it needed something. I usually do the same and if needed add salt or whatever. It is better if you let it rest in the fridge for a few days. It will get better after a few days. I usually do this in something like a colander because it will loose some juice and it gets better when it is a little dryer.

He is using a Sinaloa recipe... that's in western México. I normally use other type of chiles, and other spices, like paprika, allspice, etc., besides oregano and cumin. I didn't identify the oregano he's using. We have 3-4 varieties of oregano, all different species here in México. But the most common is the Mexican oregano "Lippia graveolens"

Hope it helps.

Rubén

PS. I usually cook it with pork fat or bacon drippings